Pace or Grundig Free to view box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Phil.LFC, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I believe these two adaptors are for sale for around £100 each. I'm after one for my parents and they're not fussed as long as they can watch Channel 5 !
    Could anyone please advise on the best one to buy?
    I read a review of the pace box in the latest What TV & Video but they say it is confusing to connect up if your VCR has only 1 scart, which is the case here.
    Any help much appreciated.:)

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil,

Why do you always consider buying the same equipment as me? ;) :D

I have the Pace. Not confusing to set up at all and fantastic picture quality. Those I have talked to who have seen the Grundig and the Pace delivering the same material have preferred the Pace's picture quality unreservedly. The Pace also looks better - are you seriously considering sticking that Grundig dustbin lid anywhere near your television? ;)

I use the loopthrough on my TV scart, so your parents could probably do that? Only problem with the Pace is that the scart plug is a bit chunky because the RF cable and the power cable both plug into it.

On the "parent friendly" front, my mum's not too bright with the remotes (if you know what I mean ;)) but she can work the Pace no problem.

3. Paul G

Paul G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As someone who owns the pace box, I would go for the Grundig simply because it has two scarts. One just isn't enough to be honest.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    or, if you visit Comet you may find they still have on sale some of the ex-ITVdigital boxes, now yours to keep for £99.99. Choice of Pace or Pioneer in my local. Two scarts, recording timer......

6. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of one of the old ITV boxes Pace are selling on there web site, http://www.pacefreetoview.co.uk/offer.asp.

Quailty is fantastic and comes with 2 scarts. It took 10 mins to setup from opening the box, very simple and easy to use. I get a total of 14 channels.

Plus it comes with a 28 day return policy if you have not signal which is great as with the high street shops you don't have the choice.

7. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks for the replies. I went out and bought the pace adaptor after reading Squirells post. My parents are well happy with it. They were originally going to pay £160 for someone to upgrade their aerial so they could get channel 5. So for £60 less they've got about 20 channels. Great picture quality too.
    I must say that the pace ITV boxes seem an even better buy but I didn't read these posts in time.

8. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £160 for Channel 5?

Squirrel God, how do the pictures vary between the Pace and Grundig? Is this a subjective "contrast/colour" default setting, does one pixellate more than the other, is one sharper, is one by default using RGB th eother not, etc?

I personally don't care what it looks like as I'd rather it was out of sight, or better still, integrated into the TV :rolleyes:

Stuart

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

Glad your parents are happy. I don't know what parents see in C5, I think it must be the soap operas or the "true story" movies on in the afternoons... Personally, I hardly ever watch C5..

Stuart,

I have not seen the two myself to compare them.

See John Jennings posts on this thread:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37772

He saw the two together on the same telly, outputing the same signal.

From the posts on this forum, there also seems to be some confusion over whether the Grundig box outputs RGB or just composite (see the last few posts of your Grundig thread)...

None of the people I know personally that gave me their opinions were technically minded. They just noticed that the Pace looked sharper, more colourful, etc. I haven't heard anyone who's seen the two together say that they prefer the Grundig yet...

Personally, if I had my money again, I'd go for one of the Pace ITV boxes simply for the extra features (like the timer). I'd definitely consider these as well if I were you - those Pace boxes have a very good reputation on this forum.

Hope that helps a bit :)

10. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spoken with rundig Technical dircetly, I can confirm the Grundig does NOT support RGB. Also they do not think Tivo will be able to control it, although the Tivo web site seem to have come-up with some IR codes for it.

Hope this helps.

11. Steve D Green

Steve D Green

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's strange - I have (what I thought was) the RGB scart from the Grundig plugged into an RGB to S-video convertor box, and it seems to be converting it to an s-video signal.

If it was only outputting composite, wouldn't the box be displaying an incorrect picture because it would be expecting RGB?

I certainly don't see any artifacts that I normally get with composite (crawling around edges), and I even get a weird shadow with very saturated colours on the RGB input of my Sony that I have only got with RGB signals.

- Steve

12. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there are a few surprises with these FTA STBs, the Grundig isn't upgradeable to PayTV, the Pace doesn't have a timer for recording purposes. Perhaps (slow software aside) the old ex-ITV boxes are the best soultion.

Stuart

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ex Ondigital box - yuk!

Pace DTVA is much better

14. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can the Pace do timed recordings?

Stuart

15. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

for a new dumb user...why is having two scarts on the 'free to view' box better? What exactly is the problem linking up to a VCR from the PACE box?

Any pointers appreciated

thanks

mikef

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The DTVA doesn't do timer but why not just leave it on?

The Ondigital boxes are quite horrid and helped the demise of ITV Digital with their slow operation, poor picture quality, constant resets required, and being so interfearance prone.

Nokia vs TV

TV quicker changing, better/faster text, better picture, less breakup prone, Nokia - digital sound out

Nokia vs DTVA

Nokia - more sockets digital audio, slow text.
    DTVA - rapid operation, no text YET, captive Scart - less breakups

Anyway each item requires a tuner, I have three so far! Just need one for my SLHF950

Anyone got a S/H Sony DTX500 (I think) for sale?

As to wiring up shove Scart from DTVA into vcr Scart in, if no Scart in make up a patch cable.

However if you have an SVHS, Hi8 or DV deck you can run SVideo from DTVA to vcr.

I may convert the 950 to SVideo in and use another DTVA downstairs.

As to TV - surely the main TV has got its own digital tuner?

17. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    Have you tried recording different programmes from different channels, using this technique?

18. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    Gives you more connection options:

eg:

(1) 1 scart from STB to TV, configured for RGB (Best pic quality), 1 SCART from STB to VCR, configured for composite or SVideo to be compatible with VCR inputs for recording widescreen TV (many VCRs don't have RGB).

or

(2) Loopthrough, where TV has too few inputs - such as DVD > STB Scart 2; STB Scart 1 > TV with only 1 SCART.

etc....

19. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I wouldn't trust an Ondodgy box for a week or something like that, if away tend to use PAL or just an evening leave the box on

20. Mikef

Mikef
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel - thanks for the reply, I understand now...it does sound like a pain, my TV has two scarts (one RGB for the DVD player, the other for the VCR), if I want to watch a PACE STB, I would have to unhook the dvd player and plug in the STB. Ho Hum. Not sure if there are any good quality 'multi RGB input merging' devices available, I could go look I guess.

Thanks again

Mikef

21. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble comes when you go on holiday and realise you've started to watch 2 series on digital channels (the number of which will increase again). Then again you have 3 of the things, you could leave them on and plug into different SCART sockets on the VCR (unless it's only got one SCART....):rolleyes:

22. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick few questions while I'm here, I have the Pace fta box btw and I highly recommend it;

1. Will there be any text?
    2. Why doesn't BBCi show anything?
    3. What are channels 701 & 702, BBC sport?
    4. Is it pay upgradeable, could I subscribe to Sky one now or in the near future?

Cheers

Dom.

23. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Yes. A software upgrade will be delivered over-the-air in june/july

2. You can't get interactive services on the Pace UNTIL the software upgrade. Thus BBCi, teletext, fourtext, etc all shows as unavailable for the moment.

3. They are part of BBCi. But because the Pace can't deal with interactive services yet, they show up as 701 and 702.

4. Tricky. Pace tell me that it MIGHT be possible to upgrade in the future. If you turn your box upside down you will see a flap underneath where a CAM might go. Sky One is not available on digital terrestrial though. The reason why the word "MIGHT" is used is because nobody knows the nature of digital terrestrial pay tv yet (it might not even exist at all in the future, we are waiting to hear the outcome of a number of bids for the future of dttv).

24. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers squirrel, very chuffed with the pace box on the whole, another thing, whats the deal with these zoomed 4:3 with 1in borders business, very annoying.

25. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not all programming is filmed with widescreen cameras. So to compromise, they zoom in, chop a bit off the top and bottom of the picture, and you end up with something that's "almost" widescreen. I've gotten used to it now. The world cup has helped to desensitize me to it :p

What annoys me more is the fact that the broadcasters seem to use the digital version of their channel to broadcast programmes with in-vision signing, even during prime time (e.g. Hollyoaks sunday omnibus on digital c4 contains in-vision signing, but it doesn't on analogue c4). That really gets on my nerves. Must be some way around this. With interactive services, we should be able to turn them off or on as we desire (means each broadcaster requires extra bandwidth, extra channels, however).

Very chuffed with me Pace box as well :D Buttons on the remote control are a bit on the small side though - I'm wondering if I bought another Pace remote from eBay if it would work with it .... hhhmmmmm

26. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got the grundig box and im very happy with it,the timer is very handy, spend a few minutes telling it wot you want to watch and leave it to it,picture quality is good enough for me, i think the teletext and interactive stuff works,however the main selling point was the twin scarts,and rf loop thro.
    bad points,cant find a way to change the default channels,eg bbc1 is set at 801(i think) i want to change it ,so pressining 1, instead of 801 , on remote will bring up bbc1 any ideas?
    no phono audio outs
    remote controll seems to be a bit more directionall (have to point it at the box not just vagly in the right direction)than most of my other stuff

Hippy

27. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    squirrel can't you use your receiver remote, don't you have a Denon? I use the denon remote to control everything, bloody marvelous, if a little confusing at times :eek: :D

28. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an AV amp or receiver mate!

29. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I intended posting about this yesterday but clean forgot about it.
    Surely this is a much better proposal for anyone considering dttv rather than the Pace offering.Future developments will also mean wider choice veiwing ;) .

30. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently replaced said Pioneer box with the Pace (pioneer destroyed by lightening) and for someone who only watchs the fta channels I find the Pace box a much better option. The software is much better, faster, better info/tv guide, easier to setup, better remote, less breakup, smaller and I think a better picture also. Only things I preferred on the pioneer was the less bulky scart and 2ch out, but these are only minor niggles.