• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pace optical out problem

O

onzey

I have a 2 to 1 optical splitter which served me well with my old Sky + box and Panasonic DVD recorder into my Samsung 5.1. Whichever input was on I got the sound played from that input through the Samsung.

With my Pace Sky+HD box however, I have to pull the optical cable out of the splitter if I want to hear sound when playing a DVD in the Panasonic. This seems to be because there is still red light from the Pace optical lead even when it is off (in standby). When the Panasonic is off there is no light from its lead so I get sound from the Pace (when it is on).

Are all the Pace boxes like this or is this a fault on mine?

If they're all the same will buying an optical switch instead solve the problem?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

StevieBuck

Splitters are designed to split one signal and send it out to two or more devices, not the other way round like you're doing - hence why you're having problems.

What you really need is a switcher - this isolates one input from several and sends it through to your device so they don't clash.

Last edited:
O

onzey

Thanks for replies

I just checked my old Thomson Sky+ box and the optical output is only glowing when the box is out of standby. When put back in standby the optical light eventually stops.

Surely the splitter will work fine as a 2 in 1 out as long as only one beam is going through (as it did when I was using the Thomson).

Last edited by a moderator:

StevieBuck

Yes, well you know yourself that it's capable of working - but now you're setup has changed and I'm saying that because you can't disable the optical output you will need to get a proper switcher if you want it to work as before.

dwhite

Distinguished Member
I beleive its a problem which is unique to Pace SkyHD boxes, they don't disable the optical output in standby. Either get a optical switch as Steviebuck suggested, or get a new skyHD box which isn't pace, or resign yourself to swapping cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom