PACE OMNE: Annoying AV Switching

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by pdgnews, Jun 1, 2002.

1. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My parents just had OMNE digital cable installed via a PACE digibox. What a mess they made of it - came home to find that nothing was connected with SCART, so that when my parents did the usual "setting the VCR to AUX1 and pressing record" nothing was recorded. You'd have thought that when the OMNE engineer removed the OnDigital Box they would have connected the PACE cable box up in a similar fashion... but perhaps not because....

When I connect the PACE digibox to the TV via RGB SCART (how do I configure one of these boxes, there is no instruction manual and the menu system doesn't appear to have any options) the Toshiba TV is automatically switched to AV1 - whether the digibox is switched on or in standby - try and change to a terrestrial channel - and it flips back immediately to the AV1 input. There's no TV/AV button on the remote, so I thought "snip pin 8 on the SCART". So I did this and now when watching terrestrial TV, every few seconds, the screen goes blank although the sound continues... even with the PACE box in standby... Try AV1 with a DVD player and everything is fine. Digibox, no. So unplug the SCART from the digibox and everything is fine - except you have to watch everything via RF and thus lose stereo and Surround sound. Ack! How inelegant... Add to that the non-intuitive interface, the slowness of it all and the unbelievably inelegant and unintuitive user interface... and you have me suddenly thinking that the ITV Digital boxes were not that bad after all. So... can anyone suggest how to solve my SCART problem or even suggest what is going on? How on earth do I get into the setup menu so I can switch the output to letterbox mode (it's connected to a 4:3 TV). Ugh, I hate this badly designed piece of crap.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    OK what the hell is OMNE Cable? And which model Pace box is it?

3. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's digital cable TV for the Northwest of England - it stretches from Lancaster all the way up to Scotland. I guess it's the NTL/Telewest of the North. They offer digital TV/phone/broadband.

Unfortunately, the PACE box doesn't appear to have much written on it to identify it at all, and i'm loathe to drag it out once more for a more detailed inspection - it's a birds nest in the cupboard under the TV.

What I have discovered though is that plugging the scart lead (with pin 8 snipped) into AV2 on the TV (composite video) solves the problem of the screen (when viewing teresstrial tv) going blank. Of course, the picture isn't as good as the RGB feed on AV1. Ho hum. My parents can't tell the difference though, so it's good enough I suppose.

Found a setup menu, but it isn't a menu that allows you to set widescreen options or video format to be used on the SCART. Bloomin' useless. At least the picture doesn't freeze anymore when pizza delivery boy rides past on his moped.

Back to OMNE though - they do have a website - advertised as being www.omne.com, but it's been down every time i've tried it. They also nearly went bankrupt a couple of weeks back, but appear to have new investment. www.digitalspy.co.uk for more details (select cable on the left menu and look for news from May 3rd).

4. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what the PACE box looks like:

[​IMG]

So if anyone knows how to get into the config menu (so I can change the widescreen mode) I'd love to hear from you.

5. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok this box looks identical to the telewest one, so I'm guessing the remote is the same. Try pressing the 'tv guide' button on the bottom left, the settings menu should be accessible from the following screen. If however the software has been upgraded like telewest have, you'll have to press 'tv guide' then the yellow button ('customise'). The settings menu should then present itself. Hope this helps!

6. pdgnews

pdgnews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I'll give it a go next time I'm home.

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iof you can't get into the options you could atleast get rgb .

go get a cheep scart switch box then when not using the box just switch to another scart imput with the switch box . plus you have more rgb imputs with the switch box