1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pace HD STB and PVR - where to buy?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tony B, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The non DVR model is being sold via the EURO1080 website, wouldn't surprise me to see the DVR model added at some point, pretty pointless not having an easy way to record HD:)

3. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Unfortunately the Euro1080i website also says that they cannot supply before Feb 06....

Some of the German on-line retailers are suggesting November availability (for the non-PVR models) but no indication yet on those with PVR capability.

If I were to go for a German supplied box, are their terrestial standards compatible with Freeview, as both Pace boxes provide an antenna loop-through facility?

4. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I expect Premiere has taken the bulk of PACE's production in preperation for their HD service leaving third party retailers in short supply.

If you are just going to pass through a RF feed then I don't think it matters what the RF modulator is set to (PAL B/G or D/K is used by Germany) although that is something you should confirm from someone else:)

6. jibberjabber

jibberjabber
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a looky here www.homecinema.ch they will be selling them Pace, Philipps,Humax-they will also ship to the UK contact there is Reto most helpful. :smashin:

7. maccrazy

maccrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would this sort of satellite DVR work with FTA satellite broadcasts?

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, but only if the channel was not encrypted.

9. maccrazy

maccrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok. Thanks. Because I was looking at them and it looked like they were designed for a pay TV network to customise.

As a general question (I'm not actually planning to do this), does any satellite decoder work with paid satellite services, provided you have the little card to put in the slot or do most pay tv systems only work with the actual decoders sold/supplied by the company?

10. fredrick2513

fredrick2513

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You will need a Common Interface (AKA CI slots) slot for any cards or an imbedded slot for a specific type of encryption, so as long as you have any decoder with a card and the correct CI CAM or imbedded slot, it should work. I hope this has helped a little. :)

11. Tony B

Tony B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can buy (for ca £50) a number of programmable CAMs, which, with the right software, can emulate nearly all of the various encryption methods in a single unit.

You then only need the appropriate keys, which are pretty freely available if you know where to look. I believe the legal position is more attractive now as it is not illegal to decrypt programmes which are aimed at another country and not available by subscription in your own country.

12. maccrazy

maccrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys. :) I really don't know that much about PVRs but I am trying to find out a bit more as New Zealand is finally getting digital free to air TV at the end of this year (as usual we are about 3 years if not more behind the rest of the world:rolleyes:), so if I could find a DVR that supports HD it would future proof it for when Sky starts offering HD at the end of next year (obviously I would have to factor in prices etc which I haven't looked at yet).