Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pace FTA PVR For Digital Terestrial

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by PeteM, Oct 7, 2002.

1. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm suprised there's been no mention of the new Pace FTA PVR for digital terestrial, announced at Stuff Live this weekend.

I know a dodgy show but it was only 20 minutes journey for me and I was bored this Sunday - thats my excuse for attending :)

None functional prototypes where on display along with a promo video, but I asked the people on the stand about it and got the following information:

- Price £350 SRP
    - Twin digital tuners
    - Twin scarts
    - Ariel passthru
    - 20G harddrive
    - S-Video output - via seperate S-video socket
    - Composite output (from scart)
    - RGB output (from scart)
    - Can pause live tv.
    - Case work is white
    - Front card reader just incase pay tv ever re-appears.
    - Can output from both tuners simultaneously (e.g so can route second tuner to a different TV).
    - ETA mid November.
    - SPDF output for digital audio.

Basically it appears to be a FTA version of Sky+, obviously without the £10 sky tax that Sky subsriber are forced to pay. Naturally you won't get the fancy EPG thats available with Sky showing a week ahead, so I'd assume this device would be used more like a normal VCR.

I asked about changing the hardrive like a lot of Sky+ owners seem to do, the person I asked was a bit non comital as its not something they support but suspected it would be possible.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There has:)

Thread

Thread 2

I also emailed PACE and made enquires about the HD size and was informed there was no plans for a larger drive in the current design and unlikely there would be an "official" upgrade.

3. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That explains it - different forum!

I expect we'll soon be hearing stories about people swapping the hardrive for something more usable. As you can do it for Sky+ I'm sure it will work with this device - the base software for controlling things like the harddrive is probably the same as this reduces deveoplement timescales and costs conciderably.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I hope so.
    Bitstream recording is the only way to go but you do need a large enough hard drive to make it worthwhile and 20gig is too small considering a DTT user will probably not be a pay movie subscriber and might want to record the odd movie.