Pace Freeview Twin.....

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Bassline@ddict, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Anyone got this, i've been considering it if i don't get sky+, anyone had any problems, etc. with it.

Whats the picture like, is the scart output RGB, all the sites i've looked at just say scart.

Oh and have you seen it cheaper than £300 (qed-uk.com)

Cheers

Steve

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    Yes, it has RGB.

Yes, it has problems. Pace have broadcast several software updates up to press, and each has both cured and intoduced problems. There is another update due in about 3 weeks. Current issues (latest update) include:

1: Picture freezes on playback, intermittent, slightly annoying. Seems to affect BBC more than others

2: Timer events scheduled to record to tape (rather than hard disk) do not actually generate an output.

There are probably others - but they will get fixed, I have little doubt....eventually. Look for a thread on here entitled' Pace Twin has arrived'.

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you don't mind the Sky+ charges then I can assure you that Sky+ is vastly superior to the Pace Twin. I had a Twin from day one and it never did what it was supposed to do properly; ie. record. I put up with it for five months, but finally sent it back to Pace for a refund.
    I had Sky+ installed last Friday, and it's so, so much better. I know I haven't had it long, but you can immediately tell it's just a much more refined, versatile product. It's hard to believe they are made by the same company. Dolby Digital 5.1 on three movie channels is the icing on the cake.:clap:

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    May well be true, but there is a significant difference in cost.....$ky world packages are around GBP34 upwards a month - correct? And, currently, without some sort of $ky subscription, you cant receive all off the free channels. As I say, I have little doubt that the bugs in the Twin will go away in time.

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    All true Nigel, but Steve is already considering Sky so I presume he knows about the costs involved and is asking about the actual hardware. Can you honestly say that the Twin works correctly? When you have to set the VCR in case the Twin fails to record, well, it's not on really is it? Why have the bugs not been sorted yet? Three downloads and it's no better. In fact it's worse now, it never used to crash all the time, it just used to fail to record. Now it fails to record and crashes. It was put on the market too soon.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Twin has been very well behaved, unlike my twins

7. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    No, I can't honestly say it works correctly. In fact, I have already said otherwise.

What I can say is that:

1: Mine rarely if ever locks up
    2: Since the last update, mine has never failed to record properly onto the Hard Disk. Playback of such recordings is currenlty flawed but not unwatchable. It doesn't record to an external device correctly.
    3: I believe that it will continue to improve to the point where it IS virtually flawless.
    4: It is cheaper than $ky and doesn't involve me in assisting with the lining of Rupert Murdoch's pockets, as far as I know.
    5: It provides me with better picture quality than I would expect from $ky.
    6: I am NOT required to enter into a contract with Interactive Discounts Ltd nor to keep my box connected to a functioning telephone line (etc).