1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pace DVTA Stereo/Mono Sound

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by stephenc, Jul 22, 2002.

1. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Just bought the Pace DVTA at the weekend, very impressed with the picture quality and the EPG etc. (looking forward to the upgrade, does anyone know when this is going to happen?).

Anyway, I've having problems confirming that my DVTA is outputting stereo or mono. When I change it in the menu system it makes no change at all to the sound.

I've currently the most simple setup (no vcr involved just yet), with audio outs from the TV into audio Ins on my STRDB970.

Last night I watched both West Wing and 24 (both Dolby Prologic) and could not really tell if the sound was mono or stereo. Is there any other way I could check?

I'm going to hook up the analogue TV again tonight (need an RF splitter) to see if it sound better through analogue or Digital.

Any idea's anyone?

Cheers,

stephenc

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's advertised on www.pacefreetoview.co.uk as taking place at the end of this month :)

It does a similar thing with the video menu. If you have it plugged into an RGB scart on your TV, changing it to composite or S-Video makes no difference - it still outputs RGB! So I'd say it's outputting stereo anyway ;)

But why not just listen to the L and R speakers carefully. If it's mono it will sound exactly the same. If it's stereo, there will be subtle differences. Make sure the programme you are watching is in stereo though (Top of the Pops would be a good test because of the music).

3. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Thanks. I tried listening carefully to BBC Choice's "covered" program last night and it sounded pretty stero to me.

however, both West Wing and 24 sounded not as good in Dolby Prologic via Digital than they did last week via Analogue.

I'm going to get an RF Splitter so that I can watch both Analogue and digital 2nite to check.

Regarding the Video, I can make it change from RGB to S-Video OK, but when I change from RGB to Composite it makes no difference, i.e. always in RGB (unless my RGB and Compostite are the same quality, which I think not).

SJC

4. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pace DTVA Software upgrade began transmission this morning. If you tune to BBC1, you should get the prompt to start downloading it.

Tell ya, after you've waited 15 minutes for it to download and install .. the interactive services go like the clappers! It's sooooo much faster than my Sky Digibox, which takes an age to load an interactive material.

Nice work Pace ... it was worth the wait ;)

5. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    sad but true, can't wait to get home now to download it :)

Does this mean that BBC showing interactive sport, i.e. what it did for Wimbledon is now available through the Pace, and can we get Digital Teletext now?

Basically, what does the interactive services give you?

Here's hoping that the Commonwealth games are interactive on the BBC.

Cheers,

SJC

6. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Regarding the mono/stereo query, I gota response from Pace, altohugh I've went back to them to explain further as this makes no sense to me.

>Dear Stephen,
    >
    >Thank you for your message.
    >
    >NICAM is a system used to transmit stereo signals on analogue
    >terrestrial signals, the DTVA produces stereo outputs (L & R) just not
    >NICAM.
    >
    >Kind Regards,
    >Pace Micro Technology.

Any idea's anyone, as I'm still not able to confirm that I'm mono or stereo.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes :)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're just saying that NICAM is not broadcast on digital terrestrial. NICAM is for analogue television. Digital television uses Dolby Digital (2.0 / surround, when broadcast)

You must've phrased your question to them about NICAM which is why you got that response?

9. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Just had the following response from Pace regarding mono/stero/Dolby sounds, can someone confirm this is just Pace support talking crap or what???

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your message.

Although the Pace DTVA carries a L & R stereo output into the TV via
    scart. It is not compatible with Nicam or Dolby surround sound systems.

Kind Regards,
    Pace Micro Technology.

Now I know that the stereo feeds contain the Dolby Prologic mix, so what am I missing here?

SJC

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Pace must have the same problem as the "Arcam no chroma bug on reds" response by customer services.
    You are correct, you will receive DPL from your FTA.
    By the way, you stated Nicam on analogue sounded superior to you. This is most people's perception. Even the digital co-axial output from a Nokia FTA isn't as "good" as Nicam to most ears.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm a pace NTL user, what I've found is...

1. Nobody has the faintest clue what prologic is or does apart from those here. Ignore all others.

2. Your pace box has L & R phonos on the back? Don't use them, stereo is output from scart only on my box, I've checked with a sound analysis on my PC.

3. The nicam issue obviously means that you TV will not give a stereo output if you tune to the RF output, they're telling you correctly it does not 're-code' the RF in nicam from it's own stereo sound.

They nearly succeeded in confusing me when this all came up chez Martin & Gail...

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pace DTVA has no connectors, only a hard-wired scart.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    problem solved then...

14. stephenc

stephenc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Thanks for all your help everyone.

Finally got everything up and running last night.

Listened to some PROMS music on BBC4 and it sounded stereo to me, so I'm happy.

SJC