1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PACE DVTA Freeview Box Problems

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by lyghthouse, Nov 26, 2003.

1. lyghthouse

lyghthouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installed a Pace DVTA freeview box . The box works fine but after being on for an hour the picture starts to jump and goes blocky. This is fixed by putting the unit in standby for about 15mins.

When I had it installed I had a new aerial fitted.

I am less than 20 miles from the Winter Hill Transmitter (NW England) and have a direct line of site.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Some more details would be helpful such as:

1. Which channel exhibits this behaviour (one channel, a group, all)?
    2. If you go into the menus (not sure which one) you should be able to get some information on the signal strength/quality and error rate. Tell us what you get here for the channel(s) showing the problem.
    3. Exactly which box is it? The small flat rectangular silver one that's been recently released, or the older one that's a sort of semi-circle shape?

3. lyghthouse

lyghthouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The box is the older semi circular one

The main channels affected are ITV2, Channel 4, Sky Travel, CBBies.

Will check on signal strengths when I get home tonight.

4. lyghthouse

lyghthouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The channel signal strength is fluctuating between 34 and 45 %

With ITV channels having a strength of 34 and BBC channels generally between 41 and 45 %.

The bit rate doesn't seam to chanege from 0 except on channel 702 where the bit rate error flicked between 0 and 3.06E-03.

I am concerned that the signal strength is too low especially from a new aerial.

Hope someone can help

Lyghthouse

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few guesses:

Is your box overheating? It should be on an open shelf with plenty of ventilation. From your description, this would be my number one check point. Maybe take the cover off and see if that cures it. (Keep children and animals away while the cover is off).

Did you get the coaxial cable replaced at the same time as the aerial? It should be double-shielded satellite cable for Freeview. (Some people will say this is rubbish but they are the lucky ones who got away with it).

Was the aerial aligned with a meter? If it's a high-gain aerial, it has a narrow focus and the alignment is far more critical than a "normal" aerial.

Does it show the problem at the same time every day? For example, do you always put it on at 5pm and notice the problem at 6pm? If so, it is usually a sign of interference caused by electrical switching, mercury vapour lamp, microwave oven or whatever.

Fman

6. lyghthouse

lyghthouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The box is well ventilated and gets a loses the picture after about 30 mins of use.

The aerial and cabling was replaced when I bought the box.

The coax is a solid copper core surounded by a white plastic and the a copper mesh then the outer pvc cable.
    Not sure if this is the right quality.

The aerial is a new one but looks like a normal aerial and points at the transmitter like all the other aerials in the street.

The guy who installed in said that the signal received by the aerialwas too strong and fitted a signal reducer to the aerial on the roof.

Have I been conned?

Surely the signal strength should be more than 34%.

Last night while watching ITV the uncorrected errors /sec ranged between 423 (blocky) and 655335 (no visible picture).

7. Archie Fax

Archie Fax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It might be standard coax. Is it brown?
    Double sheilded is used on satellite installations and is usually black in colour*. Double shielded has a layer of foil under the copper mesh.

*It is also available in white though I think.

8. lyghthouse

lyghthouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Outer coating is black though don't remember there being foil inside.

9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's black then the cable is almost certainly the correct type. No, I don't think you've been conned. However, you should contact the aerial installer, explain the problems, and ask if he can fix it. He may do it under guarantee if he's made a mistake - more likely if you are nice to him and appear to be genuinely asking his advice, rather than complaining.

By the way, never start the conversation with "I'm not complaining, but.."
    This is guaranteed to put him on his guard. Start by saying "I need your advice about an aerial installation that you kindly did for me.."

It's possible that the signal really is too strong but that he's attenuated it too much so it's now too weak. By the way, any attenuation should be at the receiver end - NOT the aerial. You want as much signal coming down the cable as possible. That way, the attenuator reduces any interference picked up by the cable. Most important for digital.

Fman

10. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is this a newly purchased box or an old one?

As it sounds like the failing tuner problem that is affecting a number of the original Pace DVTA box’s including my own (now completely dead). The symptoms are that the box starts to lose a multiplex then another and so on over a period of time.

The other alternative is apparently some of the PSU's are not up to spec with too low voltage.

11. lyghthouse

lyghthouse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was bought in August from Argos so it should still be under it's warranty.

I have got the guy who installed the aerial coming back to have a look at it.

12. unrealrocks

unrealrocks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think these older type PACE boxes are bug ridden, I know of someone with a picture loss problem, a month later the box died - wouldnt switch on.

I borrowed a box off a friend the same week he got it and I experienced a problem whereby the box would just randomly go into standby ... although I think that was fixed later with a firmware flash!

I've gone off PACE ... your problem does sound like overheating, is the box exessivley hot when it starts to fail?

I wouldn't have thought it was the ariel as it works well for a while which means its getting the signal, just going after a while!