Pace Boxes !!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Mez1974, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Mez1974

Mez1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a problem with PACE SKY+ BOXES ?

I paid £200 in NOV 2003 then APR 2004 had to get new box (Well a refurbed box) now JUNE 30th gone again same fault just stuck in stand by (Red Light)

I demanded new box not a refurbished 1 told no i have to have refurbished 1.

so third box in 6 months ,is this common ?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Common?
    No.
    Unheard of?
    No.

SKY's decision to put refurbs back into the supply chain is good as long as any repairs are carried out correctly, since I've read posts from people with refurb boxes going wrong within minutes you have to ask how good the quality control is.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Personally I don't think much of Pace products. The build always gives me the impression that they are made in a garage at the bottom of someones garden. I had Sky+ and had 2 faulty boxes. THese were replaced FOC but it was still a pain.

4. Mez1974

Mez1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah , What i failed to mention was that the Guy in Techical when asked the question "was this a common Pace Problem" ,I was expecting a standard reply of no ,never heard of such problems BUT He told me they are having terrible problems with pace boxes going wrong at present and i suppose the fact that there are SO many refurbs about kinda answers the question really doesnt it......

What concerns me is after nov 2004 i will have to pay for the next relacement or refurb something that i am trying to get my head around as surely the orginal box is not fit for the purpose it was brought for !!

having read other forums i think its quite a common problem after all...

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

If you read a forum which in essence is about discussing issues with specific hardware then of course you are going to get a inbalance of negative experiences. People use them to discuss problems they are having, people rarely go to the trouble of signing up and then posting "hey guys, my SKY+ hasn't gone wrong since i bought it" type threads:)

This thread is worth a read if you intend to take the matter further.

6. Mez1974

Mez1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point m8 i do agree but the fact that there are so many refurbished boxes about as i put ,answers a lot of questions these pace boxes arent great !

7. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I got mine maybe a month ago, and when i first turn on the plug in the morning, then i go to press the on button to turn the light green, it just stays red. Seemingly it has to have had the power on for about 20 seconds before it wil work. Anyone else experienced this?

8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    fulllupo, I don't usually unplug my box but on the occasions I have it dosent initialy respond. I don't think its a fault, think of its PC heritage. I suspect it takes a while to boot up & load its O/S.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    All SKY+ units take a while to set themselves up when power is first applied, as Stowitbelow says it's the time required for the SKY+ to check the HD and initialise is software ready for use.
    The obvious answer of course is to leave the box in standby, it is designed to be on 24/7 not only to make full use of the recording features but to always be looking at the default transponder for any updates to the OS and EPG.

10. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I couldn't disagree more regarding Pace products.

I've had loads of Pace boxes, from an SS3000 (badged Ferguson!) with seperate VideoCrypt decoder back in the early 90's, a 9000, PRD800, PRD900, MSS1000, BSkyB2200, and now the Sky+. The 3000 went wrong once, ran far too hot. The other analogue boxes all ran very hot but I have always had them on their own shelves to keep them as cool as possible. (I think there's a lesson there!) The 2200 never went wrong once and the Sky+ hasn't either.

As for Sky's refurbs, I wouldn't trust them at all. I doubt very much that they are repaired & tested. A 5 minute check isn't going to show up many faulty boxes, is it?

Starburst's right of course, people only come on here to moan! There aren't many threads praising anything, are there?! This of course makes things look worse than they actually are. There are many happy Sky+ users, me included. If only the subs were a bit cheaper!

Oh, and before anyone asks, I don't work for Pace! :)

A. Dork

11. fulllupo

fulllupo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the comments on powering up guys. I can put my worries to rest.