1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pace 3100 Stuck in Stand By

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by djrobski, Aug 18, 2004.

1. djrobski

djrobski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been the proud owner of my sky plus box for over 12 months now, which has worked well for most of the time. Occasionally it would freeze, but switching it on and off would generally cure this. Last week this happend however when i rebooted, it now appears to be stuck in standby mode. the handset does not have any effect nor do the buttons on the front. I have power, the Hard drive is spinning up and the cooling fan operates periodically.

I am a qualified Avionics technician so I feel confident about changing parts, my problem is I dont want to purchase parts I do not need so if anyone has experienced this before and or can point me in the right direction then i would be very grateful, ecpecially as the olympics are on and my wife is making my life a missery saying things like "call yourself an engineer".

thanks in advance

Rob

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The problem is that apart from people that work for PACE and Amstrad there is very little known about SKY+ by the most of us who just use it. Any problems and the usual course of action is always a straight replacement regardless of the fault and the box is sent back to the factory.

You could try the Satcure forum where you might get more technically orientated info.

3. djrobski

djrobski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After surfing for hours yesterday and reading pleople mention the backup boot I checked my manual to find out what exactly what it was, to no avail, so finally I had to ring Sky. This took quite a long time as each technical support operative was only able to carry out one fix.

Fix 1.
    Turn off at the wall for ten seconds.
    Switch on and leave for 60 seconds.
    Push TV.
    Push Sky.

Fix 2.
    Remove Card.
    Switch off at wall.
    Press and Hold Backup Button whilst switching back on at the wall.
    Keep Backup Button pressed until four lights are visable.
    Leave alone until four lights extinguish (5-10 mins).
    leave for a further 30 seconds.
    press Sky button.
    insert card.

If neither of these work as in my case they will charge you 65 quid and a technician will come out and take away your Sky+ box leaving you with a second hand replacement, which incidently you have to keep.

The lady on the phone tells me that they have been inundated with calls following the recent thunder and lightening.

Hope this helps someone.

Rob

PS. Cheers Gary, but I have decided to let the engineer have the stress so I probably will never find out which part is broken.