Pace 3100 Noise & HDD

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Sin-Tex, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Sin-Tex

Sin-Tex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to this site:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=156344

under section 9,
    QUOTE:
    A lot of upgraders have noticed that the Fan in the upgraded Sky+ box stays on for a long time, if not all the time. It is the belief of many that this is due to the firmware. The fan on the Sky+ machines are quite robust and in most cases the fan noise isn’t noticeable, even if you sleep in the same room as the Sky+ unit.
    END QUOTE:

Not noticeable, is he kidding. It makes more noise than a fog horn & wakes me up if sleeping.

Anyway, i have not yet had time to open the box however i am wondering what is the best drive to upgrade to is. With regards to drives that make less noise & generate less heat than the stock 40gig drive.

I see peeps are using Maxtor but what about Seagate ?
    as these make less noise & i would assume generate less heat maybe.

What about the fan, has anyone manage to change the fan for one that can do the same job if not better & make less noise ?

At present i don't have the quad LNB or twin cable anyway so cannot properly use the record feature, so can i just take the hdd out & thus the fan will not come on ?

2. sillybeans

sillybeans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think the box will fail to start without a hdd.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Replace the fan. You can get replacements from Satcure

4. Sin-Tex

Sin-Tex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say i was impressed with the Satcure site & the fan kit looked out of date.

Anyone else ?

5. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I think Nick_UK was referring to the Pace SKY+ fan, not the cheap general purpose fan kit.

http://www.satcure.com/accs/page12.htm#sky+

(I'm surprised you weren't impressed by the site. Probably the biggest source of Sky satellite information and accessories on the internet. Most people report good service, too).

6. Sin-Tex

Sin-Tex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i was kind of looking for something better than original but now having seen the Pace 3000 spec details they do seem good at only 16db of noise.
    Assuming the 3100 is the same i would have to say mine has occasionally gone on the frits.

Well thx anyway, what about the hdd though i may not be able to take it out but what about drives that produce less noise or less heat.