Pace, 1TB Samsung, Planner wiped, can't use Sky+ functionality?????

seang

Established Member
Reaction score
I upgraded my new Pace SkyHD box last weekend and it's been working fine, save for one crash.

Today the box wouldn't turn on so I unplugged the power, reconnected and it eventually started. Planner is empty and when I try to add new programmes to the planner it tells me that Sky+ recording is unavailable due to a system fault and I need to call Sky.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what does it mean?

Can Sky tell that I've upgraded the disk? Is it incompatibility with the Samsung drives? Is there a new firmware that messes things up?

Pretty upset right now although didn't have too much saved to the box.

Help anyone?

The ultimate relief. Thanks to another poster who said he was lucky and simply did a planner rebuild from the service menu (thank you, thank you, thank you!!) the recordings miraculously returned!

Would advise anyone with wiped recordings to also try this. No guarantees but it worked for me....

Soooo happy....

Just out of interest, did you manage to get the warranty sticker off the back without destroying/damaging it ?

used a hairdryer. Not really looked at the back since putting the fiddly cover back on. But the sticker is intact.

Sadly I am still having problems. No more wipes but each morning the box won't come out of standby and I have to unplug the power cable and reconnect it.

When I do this, it take a few minutes before the box will start up and each time Sky is on channel 998.

Clearly I can't live with it like this. Any ideas anyone?

I set AAM to silent before putting the drive in but wouldn't have thought this would have mattered.

I just fitted a 1Tb WD drive and read all the posts I could here about drive upgrades before doing it. One of them mentioned problems after setting their drives APM mode to its max (or min depending on POV). I wonder if there is a timeout limit for the drive to respond which the sky box isnt very flexible about. I'd change your drive back to 'noisy' to see if thats the problem.

I just fitted a 1Tb WD drive and read all the posts I could here about drive upgrades before doing it. One of them mentioned problems after setting their drives APM mode to its max (or min depending on POV). I wonder if there is a timeout limit for the drive to respond which the sky box isnt very flexible about. I'd change your drive back to 'noisy' to see if thats the problem.
devbod - If it was the WD Green Power drive, these are very quiet and responsive with their default setting so you do not need to do anything except set your drive to 1TB with Copy+ or copy your existing programmes from another drive.

Regards

Thanks Dave. It was the 10evcs and is now in and running. I didnt change the settings, if only because I couldnt see how to ;) . Used Copy+ which took ages but worked flawlessly. It is noticeably quieter which is helped by running cooler so the fan doesnt seem to run as much.

I have an ongoing issue where the box keeps jumping to the planner at random times (ie just as if someone was pressing 'TV Guide' on the remote but that has happened in the past but stopped for no obvious reason. Not the remote (I even took it out of the room to check!).

I'm slightly puzzled by your statement regarding the fan does not run as much.

Received my Pace HD box on Friday. The fan comes on as soon as the box is brought out of standby and appears to run at high speed (never varies) until the box in put back into standby, at which point the fan will turn off after a minute or so.

I was therefore under the impression that the fans in these new Pace HD box's are not temperature sensor controlled unlike my old Pace SKY+ box's which vary the fan speed according to temperature.

I'm not actually interested in increasing the storage capacity of my Pace SKY HD box, but do wish to quieten the box down. The make/model of hard disk which is fitted to these Pace HD box's is certainly not the quietest I've come across (its spindle/drive mechanism is very much audible (high pitched sound) compared with the silent Samsung Spinpoint I've used in my PC).

My box is the original Thompson, not a Pace. With the old drive the fan(s) got so noisy on a warm day it was like having a jet taxiing in the living room. The WD drive is certainly very quiet. If you're not bothered about space I'd install the 500Gb version which is only ÂŁ35ish quid from scan. Has the added convenience that the firmware in the sky boxes is limited to handling 500Gb drives when formatting so it could save hassle later it you ever needed to do a full system reset.

Any recommendation with respects to whether I should go for Samsung Spinpoint or Western Digital !

Western Digital Green Power WD5000AVVS
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=390

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00142J8TW/incomp-1-201120-21/ref=nosim

Samsung Spinpoint
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/harddrivesolutions/t-series-hdd

Its quietness of operation which matters most to me.

Although there does not appear to be stock of the WD model yet. I presume its a new model and not yet released!

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Sadly I am still having problems. No more wipes but each morning the box won't come out of standby and I have to unplug the power cable and reconnect it..

i have just been talking to a sky engineer who said that there are loads of pace boxes that refuse to come out of standby.

he also mentioned something about input 2 ( ? ) on the samsung box

Last edited:
Just came home to find my 1tb Samsung has lost everything in the planner and anytime
done the planner rebuild but no joy.
i will be swapping back to the WD EACS 1tb I have (with almost dupe of recordings that I have lost) and this Samsung is going in the PC and well away from the SKY HD box :thumbsdow

Just came home to find my 1tb Samsung has lost everything in the planner and anytime
done the planner rebuild but no joy.
i will be swapping back to the WD EACS 1tb I have (with almost dupe of recordings that I have lost) and this Samsung is going in the PC and wel matterl away from the SKY HD box :thumbsdow
dreadline - As a matter of interest, why did you change from the WD in the first place?

Regards

i "aqquirred" the Samsung 1tb as a freebie so I thought I would just test it for a week or so to see if it was any quieter/better than the WD drive. The WD drive was in the box last week so still has most of the things that have been lost during the wipe today :smashin:

this Samsung, and the 750GB i had in before I swapped to the 1tb WD, both had the random lockup/reboot behaviour happen a few times too. So I am going to stick the WD EACS back in tomorrow as I don't trust these Samsung drives :thumbsdow

I'm still seeing the fault where my upgraded Pace box won't come out of standby, despite doing a forced software upgrade.

Am going to return the original Seagate drive and if that does the same I will get on to Sky.

The previous poster who said how a Sky engineer commented that lots of Pace boxes won't come out of standby... did he say how this was going to be resolved? Replacement box or likely firmware upgrade?

When I connect the 1tb drive back to my pc and use copy + to transfer back to the original disk, will I find out if the disk was reset back to 500gb or not?

seang - When I had a Samsung wipe, it was set back to 500MB capacity.

Regards

The previous poster who said how a Sky engineer commented that lots of Pace boxes won't come out of standby... did he say how this was going to be resolved? Replacement box or likely firmware upgrade

he said he had changed alot of pace boxes

thanks.

Put the original disk back in last night. No standby problems this morning so will monitor performance over the next week.

If there are no issues will have to conclude that the samsung drive is the cause. Shame.

My 500gb Samsung decided to wipe everything last night too.The missus is not happy.
Tried a planner rebuild , no joy.

Put the original disk back in and have had no problems whatsoever since. Looks like the Pace boxes don't like certain disks. Maybe it's because it's a 1TB drive... I don't know...

But intend to live with the smaller disk for the time being...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom