PAC and SIM activation question

KingKrell

I've got a month left on 3 but have started a new monthly SIM only contract on Orange. The phone is already unlocked and works okay on a spare Orange PAYG SIM I have, although I haven't set up the web etc. access which is still set to 3.

I got the PAC off 3 and have given it to Orange yesterday when I got the SIM at the store.

Now, I was considering setting up a divert on the 3 SIM (mate said do this) but I have decided to use my old 3 SIM whilst waiting as I sometimes get quite lot of texts which won't divert. Or can I divert them?

Question 1: Will my new orange SIM change to my existing (3) number without me having to insert the Orange SIM into my phone first? It's still in the packaging but with me. I'm hoping that my 3 SIM will just stop working soon and then I can put my orange SIM in and carry on with my existing (3) number. All is well if I don't have to wait too long for it.

Question 2: Am I paying for my new Orange SIM already, or does it only start when I put it in the phone? I'm not so worried about this as the PAC should take a few days only (I hope!).

Hopefully I can just put my Orange SIM in and go when my 3 SIM stops working, which means my number is ported. Or is it not that easy?

Thanks for any help... :)

RobM

Distinguished Member
I'll try and answer your questions in order..

Question 1: Yes it will. You'll notice your signal on the original SIM drops off and your phone effectively becomes disconnected. At this stage, insert your new SIM and within a short period of time (seconds, usually) you'll be registered on the new network and your number will be active.

Question 2: It starts from when the contract was created usually, but can vary by network, so double-check if you're concerned. Your new SIM from Orange is valid and can be used now, it will just be with a temporary number, so you will be charged for the service you receive.

Hopefully I can just put my Orange SIM in and go when my 3 SIM stops working, which means my number is ported. Or is it not that easy?

That's exactly it :thumbsup:

KingKrell

Ace, I'll use up my 3 mins until the 3 SIM drops connection, hopefully not too late... Thanks, as the guy in the shop seemed unsure.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Just be aware that when it drops... it drops! So if you're in the middle of a conversation when it drops, you'll get cut off.

So get used to starting every conversation with... "if I get cut off I'll phone right back....." :D

KingKrell

Lol. The main reason I'm keeping my 3 SIM in as some of my family have been texting me a lot, such as my sister who is moving house. The trouble with divert is I'll appear to be ignoring those texts :-(. Still I have some mins to use.

I've copied my contracts to the phone already as they were on the 3 SIM. They may have gone dead with the SIM!

RobM

Distinguished Member
It is a tricky time. My Mrs' just made a similar move, going from a Vodafone contract to O2 Simplicity and faced the same dilemma.

She didn't like my suggestion of using the new SIM so I have an excuse for ignoring her calls....

KingKrell

It's turning out not to be as clean cut as my 3 SIM stopping working!!!

At about 8 this morning got a message from Orange saying my settings had updated on my 3 SIM (confused me a bit). I then got a message saying I had a new emails, but when I checked my 3 email I didn't have one.

I decided to put in the Orange SIM for the first time. Apart from it showing 'Orange' at the top, it didn't dial out. I rang 150 and it said my account was not setup, so I put my 3 SIM back in.

I called a friend who said they called me and left a message on Orange voicemail. So that was the message but I couldn't see it yet. I could dial out and I was still getting texts on 3 at this stage.

I continued to send texts to burn 3 mins, then noticed that 3 voicemail had stopped working. About 10 mins ago I couldn't dial out anymore and texts failed shortly after.

So I'm, almost there..! the SIM still says 3 but it's not functioning. Planet 3 doesn't work either.

So rather than a big change, it has been a gradual 'plucking' of 3 support bit by bit until I guess my 3 SIM goes dead (I'm thinking of the T800 death scene in Terminator 2 now! :rotfl:).

I would put my Orange SIM in now to try as my 3 one is not working, but I'd rather be sure 3 is completely stopped so I know I'm not paying anymore. But then I could just see when they bill me (but could be too late). My battery went from fully charged to 10% since Sunday and it usually lasts 4 days. They must have been accessing my phone all morning!

So:

1) It's a gradually process that means your phone SIM slowly 'dies'.
2) It takes it out on your battery.
3) You get lots of notice messages that you can't do anything about.

I'll make another post when I'm over. It does seems to be worth waiting until you can't dial out, then change SIMs. I was under the assumption my Orange SIM was active on day 1, but it was not the case. Perhaps other providers activate sooner?

Anyway... Pretty boring stuff really :boring:, but hopefully this helps someone else based from my experience.

KingKrell

The 3 SIM is now inactive.

Ok, just great. My Orange SIM seems to have no settings for text messaging at all. The text options seem to have completely disappeared too so I can't see a way of getting them back. CS it is then...!

KingKrell

For interest, I had to have my settings re-sent as they went to the old SIM (so they went far too soon). For this reason alone it might be worth simply moving to the new SIM early.

Finally my old number has written to my SIM card. Orange CS said that doesn't change but it has now.

They sent me my Internet settings too just now. Now what can I do to get rid of the Planet 3 icon and Quick Launcher?

After all this I think I'd just keep the new number next time and tell them. It's much faster!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom