PA720 - Bi Amp functionality

chand

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have CX A 5200 pre amp and Arcam PA720 Amplifier. I have B&W 702 floor standers. Since I am only using 5 channels on my amplifier, I was hoping I could use the rest of the two remaining channels to BI AMP my front speakers. I am not able to find an option to bridge in PA 720, I would like to take some advise from guru's here.

Thanks
Chand

Bridging means you're bridging the amp,. typically on amp able to do that it converts two channels into one, increasing power. This is not the same as biamping.

Bi amping means sending the same signal into a poweramp one channel powers hf and second channel powers bass. Ensure you remove the links on the speaker terminals otherwise you'll blow up your amp

You'll need a cable like this. Check with Yamaha/arcam it's safe to do a one into two cable as I believe it effects voltage or impedance or something like that

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418-201952.png
    Screenshot_20220418-201952.png
    443.4 KB · Views: 38
Thank you RCCARGUY2. I was thinking the same to split the front channel from preamp to 2 RCA and plug one in to each channel in Arcam.

But splitting a channel via a rca splitter, will it affect the quality of the signal?

It does effect it somehow not sure what specifically, voltage or impedence or something. What you're planning I do something similar, Antimode single RCA out into a Y cable then into two subwoofers. The same principle really.

I recently asked Arcam about this but it was about going from an Arcam pre-amp rather than to one of their power amps. They suggested a splitter cable like this was the way to go. I had a plan change in the end though so never tried it.

But splitting a channel via a rca splitter, will it affect the quality of the signal?
Not significantly. At the price of a pair of splitter cables, you might just as well try out both options to see what you prefer.

Thank you all for your kind inputs, will definitely try the option of Y splitter and will update.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom