PA System advice

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Ronaldeano, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Ronaldeano

Ronaldeano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to put this in but here goes:

I'm looking for a PA system for under £200, I realise that this is a ridiculously low budget but this system is basically for a couple of parties I'm DJing at next month as a favour for friends, I normally DJ in bars so have no need for a big week in, week out system.

I realise used will probably be my best option but ideally what sort of specs should I be looking at? I have no idea about speakers, amps, RMS, ohms or anything like that so any advice would be gratefully received.

The parties are in different venues but will be small-medium with around 150 people.

I've been looking on auction sites and such a like but there's not much within 50 miles of my area (Milton Keynes)

Thanks guys.

2. Ronaldeano

Ronaldeano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    These will be seriously lacking in bass weight and need a sub to get anything like a decent sound. a 10" driver is a midrange type in PA terms at this level.

For your budget, I would rent a small system from your local sound hire co. For £100 per time you should be able to get a decent 3 way system with amps and crossovers etc. Not only will this be a lot louder, but it will have all the correct cables etc as well.

For DJ work you want a decent sub - 250W as a minimum, using a 15" driver. The tops want to be a 12" plus compression horn (Avoid Piezo, they sound uniformly awful) and need stands to get them at head height.

The minimum single box system would have a 15" LF and a 1" HF. This will be full range and quite loud. I don't think you will get this on your budget though.

4. Ronaldeano

Ronaldeano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    Without knowing what the speakers are, its a bit difficult to tell!

PAs for pub singers are not always the right thing for a DJ. You want a full range system that is loud and punchy, while for vocals, a smoother sound is required and there is less need for deep bass.

By "Single Box" I mean a pair of speakers that create the full audio spectrum and don't need a seperate sub bass unit. Intimdation, Warfedale and many others do these, with a 15" low frequency driver and a 1" HF. A pair of these - Intimidation AKA-115 mkII Passive PA Speaker « Passive Speakers « Speakers (FOH) « PA « Electro Music are what I was thinking about. They have Piezo tweeters that are not great, but the advantage is they are just about indestuctible and make the speaker easier for a cheap amp to drive. At £75 each, that does not leave you very much for an amp and you will need at least 250W RMS per channel into 8 ohms to drive these to any sort of party level. This is about your starting point. KAM KBA15 « Power Amplifiers « PA « Electro Music anything smaller will soon overheat or chuck out so much distortion that it will kill the speakers.

Add in a pair of 6M speaker cables at £20 each or so, plus a pair of stands - £30 for the pair, and your budget is blown out of the water.

Budget PA is always tricky and usually frustrating! The speakers look like the gear the pro guys use, but the sound falls far short. These days people are used to the dynamic full range sound they get from modern hifis, with plenty of bass and a nice zingy treble. To get this and make it loud needs some serious kit and it is never cheap!

6. Ronaldeano

Ronaldeano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you for the very informative reply, much appreciated.

I noticed that you're talking about passive speakers, is there anything in the active world that would suit my needs/budget?

Thank you.

7. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    I did not see any active speakers within your budget, but there are plenty to choose from. Alto and Berhinger do various types, but again, go for at least 200W and a 15" bass driver.

8. Ronaldeano

Ronaldeano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So having done some more research and budgeting, I've ended up hiring a package, all comes to £90 including lights and some big a$$ speakers.

Now to save up for my own set up....