Pa speaker with hifi sound or hifi speaker with high sensitivity ?

gasolin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have decided i want more punch speakers, a litlle more bass a little deeper bass and a little more sensitivity speakers

New Dali oberon 1 i could afford but not to much bass and low sensitivity, used as well as new dali oberon 3 is still to expensive

Pa speakers like JBL JRX 212 is the cheapest jbl pa speaker at thomann.de and they have power, 128db 1000 watt, 250 watt 122 db 62.5 watt is 116db (i don't need that much) cost the same as Dali oberon 1 but are way to big for my desktop

Pa speaker with hifi sound or hifi speaker with high sensitivity ?

Budget 300 pound or 340 euros

Have looked at Mission LX-3MKII and Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 but i can't get them in Denmark

I don't know, speaker numbers don't always add up to performance.

A question for you though (and of course you can buy whatever, whenever you want). How many pairs of speakers have you had say the last 5 yrs? I think you were on the what hifi forum also, you've had a lot I'm guessing?

under 10

Start with more amplifier power 14,400 Watts would be a good start

1604497720090.png

Active speakers sir. For what you want, plenty of bass and level (without distortion) I can’t think of any passive speakers that will do the job.

Too much power is required.

And the control over the bass driver a dedicated power amp gives is difficult to achieve passively. You need a serious damping factor.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If they’re still too big there’s always the Adam T5Vs

And these

I have thought of active speakers but most of them have hiss 1 problem.

Second problem is controlling them, i have a tube buffer with upgraded tubes, considering studio monitor the sounds is not something i would like to use with studio monitors and then i have to use a input selector since i have a tape deck,turntable, and output from my dac (pc and transporter).

M-Audio BX8 D3 (no hf and lf adsjustments, and the the volume is noit clciky, a little hard to adjust both speaker perfect in level)

Kali Audio LP-6 (mabe by people who used to work at jbl, as fare as i remember)

Fluid Audio FX50 coaxial design

Behringer B1031A, i just know the smaller version makes a thumb sound every time you turn it on and off (nasty) and the highs can get to much at high levels

Lacking in the bass and not perfect sound, no as good as other speakers because of the horn twetter for nearfield, often they don't have close to the rated sensitivity

Embedded media ? Tharbamar likes the klipsch R-41M

...a litlle more bass a little deeper bass and a little more sensitivity speakers

Unfortunately, these elements (bass vs. sensitivity/efficiency) are, to a large extent, mutually exclusive in domestically acceptable sized speakers. As Paul7777x suggests in post#5, active is your best bet - either studio or PA based. Note that reasonably sized PA speakers will not have extended bass but should offer high efficiency.

Agree with muljao in post#2, specifications are unreliable. Klipsch are known to exaggerate their speakers' efficiency and I'm sure they're not alone. And many manufacturers' bass extension specs are not met upon testing.

pa speakers that can have a deep bass is often way to big but they often sound more punchy and can be almost as loud as you like

I lived with PA speakers as my gigging (DJ) and home listening speakers for many years in a house share in London my 20s and TBH - I wouldnt really wish that upon anyone :)

While they certainly sound impressive (to a bunch of drunken/high 20-somethings as we were at the time) I cannot ever say they sounded good for listening - blasting sure, listening no - unless desired listening = club-like experience :)

Active monitors - definitely can be very punchy, and bass depends on size to a large degree, but often respectable. If you want really deep bass, add a matching sub - many pro-audio subs are actually very decent for their cost for music (I still have my old KRK V12s - never found a reasonably priced Home AV sub that can touch it for music, but then it is a huge heavy thing compared to many Home AV subs).

If you are just listening, then I suggest pursue getting a HiFi system, hifi speakers etc. If you do mixing/DJ etc, then I suggest pro-audio active monitors and maybe a matching sub. These are also decent for listening (if maybe often a bit flat sounding, but then that is typically the point of them - flat, revealing, sometimes a bit forward in the upper mid etc), but can be a little fatiguing (PA speakers in a typical house room can be extremely fatiguing).

If hifi speaker often sound dull/lifeless etc, then that suggests to me poor sound, poor amp and/or maybe poor speakers. A great source and great amp can breath life and punch into even decent budget speakers IMHO, though active monitor heard at near field position will seem more punchy or dynamic, but alot of that is being near to them.

Last edited:
I like a little more bass, a little deeper bass and higher sensitivity

It's not hard to find speaker with deeper bass than my speakers, problem is finding spakers with high sensitivity (that not just have on paper) above 88db that doens't cost to much

D7 (red) +1.45/–2.79 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 65 Hz, –6 dB @ 57 Hz; impedance minimum 4.70 ohms @ 216 Hz, phase angle –56.76º @ 114 Hz; sensitivity 83 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

118deftechs.meas.jpg

Easiest is to find passive bookshelf speakers with good sensitvity (88db or higher) and speakers above 5.5" (woofer) even active speakers like kr rokit rp5 g2 and 3 have very good bass and can play loud depsite not having a large woofer. Nothing extra needed

Studio monitors are ofte dynamic and have alot of bass but most of the cheap speakers have some kind of hiss and i do need a decent control unit = extra money

Many pa speakers often have a dynamic sound and often a dry punchy sound with high sensitivity that can give a live sound like when you listen to a live concert or just rock n roll, many big pa speakers cost the same as small bookshelfs speakers but with 10-15" woofer they are to big for a desk, so the size and decent bass is the main problem

Just add a sub!

Or have a dedicated hifi system away from the pc....or headphones! I've always had my desktop setup as a headphone rig.

You can't say sitting off axis will effect any sort of critical listening, because bookshelves on a desk are far from critical listening standards.

I have decided i want more punch speakers, a litlle more bass a little deeper bass and a little more sensitivity speakers

There are several relative terms in this sentence. More punch that what? More bass than what? More sensitivity than what?

Easiest is to find passive bookshelf speakers with good sensitvity (88db or higher) and speakers above 5.5" (woofer) even active speakers like kr rokit rp5 g2 and 3 have very good bass and can play loud depsite not having a large woofer. Nothing extra needed

Some, maybe many, studio monitors (and powered passives too) boost bass and have a sub-bass roll-off. So not only do most actives play louder than equivalent passives with the same amplifier power (partly due to actives not having a power-sapping, dynamics-limiting passive crossover) they often have a stronger, deeper bass than equivalent passives. You yourself named one - the KRK Rokit RP5. This particular speaker surely meets all your requirements - and you don't have to concern yourself with sensitivity. The latest generation have fancy EQ controls to play around with too. From audio clips I've heard on the Internet, the tonal balance of the KRK sounds more like a stereotypical passive hifi speaker than most active monitors. The Mackie MR5 is also reported to have a strong bass.

Studio monitors are ofte dynamic and have alot of bass but most of the cheap speakers have some kind of hiss and i do need a decent control unit = extra money

Yes, yes and not usually. I am aware that users of some of the cheaper active monitors have reported hiss and I can appreciate that sitting close to a hissing speaker would irritate, but I use cheap active monitors and there is barely any hiss. I have to get within a few inches of the tweeter to hear any hiss. I've heard a few other cheap actives that didn't hiss either. In general, there's no more hiss than a budget amp + passive speaker pairing.

What's this about a control unit? If you had passive speakers you'd need to use an amp so do I take it that you already have an amp you wish to deploy? If not, capable cheap switch boxes with a volume control are available:

Amazon product ASIN B07DNYF22N
Guess you would need a phono amp stage too, unless your turntable has one built-in.

You mention the M-Audio BX8 D3 as a possible option. Really? Do you realise just how large this speaker is? Why not determine the maximum size of speaker that you would accept on the desktop - try to visualise a pair of M-Audio BX8 D3 sitting on the desk. Are they too large or an acceptable size? If they're acceptable, you will be able to afford a few similarly sized designs that have big, extended bass. If they're too large, as I suspect, then you've instantly narrowed down your options, allowing you to better focus on your requirements.

There are several relative terms in this sentence. More punch that what? More bass than what? More sensitivity than what?

More than my current speakers

Some, maybe many, studio monitors (and powered passives too) boost bass and have a sub-bass roll-off. So not only do most actives play louder than equivalent passives with the same amplifier power (partly due to actives not having a power-sapping, dynamics-limiting passive crossover) they often have a stronger, deeper bass than equivalent passives. You yourself named one - the KRK Rokit RP5. This particular speaker surely meets all your requirements - and you don't have to concern yourself with sensitivity. The latest generation have fancy EQ controls to play around with too. From audio clips I've heard on the Internet, the tonal balance of the KRK sounds more like a stereotypical passive hifi speaker than most active monitors. The Mackie MR5 is also reported to have a strong bass.

The lastes version are not that good

Yes, yes and not usually. I am aware that users of some of the cheaper active monitors have reported hiss and I can appreciate that sitting close to a hissing speaker would irritate, but I use cheap active monitors and there is barely any hiss. I have to get within a few inches of the tweeter to hear any hiss. I've heard a few other cheap actives that didn't hiss either. In general, there's no more hiss than a budget amp + passive speaker pairing.

Theres not hiss at all using passive spakers and a amp

What's this about a control unit? If you had passive speakers you'd need to use an amp so do I take it that you already have an amp you wish to deploy? If not, capable cheap switch boxes with a volume control are available:

Amazon product ASIN B07DNYF22N
I would like to keep it, can change it with my all in one nad system i use for my tv and sell that, non of them have preout for a power amp or active speakers (was there a link to something ? embedded media ?)

Guess you would need a phono amp stage too, unless your turntable has one built-in.

I have what i need for my turntable, no problem when buying active speakers, what i need is a control unit for my tape deck,turntable and out put from my dac transporter and pc)

You mention the M-Audio BX8 D3 as a possible option. Really? Do you realise just how large this speaker is? Why not determine the maximum size of speaker that you would accept on the desktop - try to visualise a pair of M-Audio BX8 D3 sitting on the desk. Are they too large or an acceptable size? If they're acceptable, you will be able to afford a few similarly sized designs that have big, extended bass. If they're too large, as I suspect, then you've instantly narrowed down your options, allowing you to better focus on your requirements.

Yes i did, as the behringer, they don't cost to much, they have more than enough power (spl) and deep bass so theres more deep bass at low levels and more clean power (spl) when it gets loud. M-Audio doesnt make an alternative that are bigger than the BX5 D3 and smaller than the BX8 D3. Would i miss adjustemts for the highs, that they have a smooth volume knob not one with indentation, do the amp has to much hiss,white noise ?

If buying active studio monitor 1/3 of my budget would go or a control unit, i have a tube buffer,preamp and a input selector but i think it's fare from good enough to use with something that has a studio sound, analytic,neutral,revealing,dynamic (bi amped,no passive crossover) + tubes, not my thing, also the volume knob is small, so it's not possible to adjust the volume in small increments do to the size difference of the volume knob and indentations on the tube buffer

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused now so I'll wish you well and duck out of this thread. Happy hunting!

what ?

Exactly!

what don't you understand ?

Well in turns of size, it's not optimal have to big speakers so you can't angle them if you need to.

Theres just a few things you can 't have if your budget is limit and you don't want to big speakers, how ever it's still possible for not alot of money to get big speakers that can play deep punchy bass, if you have the space.

Atm i won't go over my budget but i can go bigger if it widens the options.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom