Pa amp for hifi

gasolin

Im at a point where im either gonna buy a good (used) denon amp (require that i sell 2 of my amps or can trade them for one good denon amp)

Or a power amp for one of my other amps that has preout and main in and is one i can buy now without having to wait for my amps to be sold.

I do want more dynamic headroom, much cleaner and distortion free sound (85db speakers) and i know playing bass heavy music it requires alot of power for it to sound deep and 100% clean,distortion free at medium to loud levels.

As one mentioens in another thread

If you want higher levels with low distortion, you need to think bigger. I use 400 W (8 ohms) / 800 W (4 ohms) monoblocks, so they are always in the low distortion part of their performance envelope even at high volume levels, and still have plenty of headroom if needed!

I want high level with low distortion even at high volume levels, and still have plenty of headroom if needed!

A better deonon amps would give me better sound which a more power full amp also could give me.

What pa amps can be recommeded with around 125 watt in 8 ohm pr channel and up to about 200 watt

Im gonna buy used like a Behringer a800 (if there is one out there for sale in my country, havn't found one) or one of the smaller crown amps, both i should be able to find for no more than 100 euros or under 100 pounds used

What pa amps can be recommeded

So fare i have found a IMG Stage Line, STA-500 for less than half price (of course used) im also consider. 2x125 watt in 8 ohm and 2x200 watt in 4 ohm

Last edited:

dogfonos

What pa amps can be recommeded with around 125 watt in 8 ohm pr channel and up to about 200 watt

Can you tolerate fan noise? Many PA amps, even the (relatively) low powered ones use case fans. Sometimes, these case fans don't start up unless you 'pump up the volume' so could be suitable. Best check individual amps if fan noise would be a problem.

Pre-owned amps I'd suggest would be Yamaha's popular P range of PA amps, such as the P2500S - usually quite a few on the second hand market, maybe Yamaha's newer PX3 too. Some retailer own-brand amps are supposed to be good too, like Studiospares Trojan range. Also, the lower priced QSC and Crown amps are allegedly OK, though I've no personal experience of them. Not sure I'd go any further downmarket (e.g. QTX, IMG/Monacor, SkyTec, LD Systems etc).

gasolin

I have fans i can use and can buy a low noise adapter or even disable it, why can't a pa amp run at high levels (under 100 watt pr channel) for 2-3 normal long songs), 99% of all hifi amps are passively cooled, even many of those who have 200 watt pr channel in 8 ohm and can handle 2 ohm loads.

Im not gonna use several amps in a rack at high levels for 2-3 hours

A little to expensive, hifiengine say 2003 Yamaha P2500S Power Amplifier

Close but not close enough Crown XLI 800 Amplifier | eBay

Crown seems to be the amp to go for, for high power and good sound quality for not alot of money

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom