1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P90 speakers

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by p3rfect, Dec 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a P90/3 from ebay and using a dj mixer as the pre amp. Sounds awesome, so happy with it!!!

However, I'm using ancient Kef coda 8 speakers and the bass in next to non and the high end is seriously shrill and in your face! Totally wrong for what I need.

I have been looking at the Dynaudio 52's, some have told me they sound incredible and have great bass but recently someone told me they haven't!

That's besude the point anyway ... my main concern is that in the arcam manual it instructs you to conected 8ohm speakers, otherwise you will damage the amp... the dyn's are rated at 4ohms? Am I going to blow up my shiney new metal box?

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I can't believe the Arcam manual says use 8Ohm speakers, that really doesn't sound correct.

My P90 drives PMC speakers which are 6Ohm's without too much problem.

3. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It says this in the a90 section of the manual I recieved...

"(If one or both pairs [... of speakers...] have an impedance of less than 8Ω, the combined load on the amplifier falls below 4Ω and could cause an overload.)"

I assume the P90 is the same.

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That to me says a load of less than 4Ohms may cause a problem, which I agree is the same as the P90.

I believe Dyn's are nominally rated at 4Ohms and thus should be fine with a P90, however connecting 2 pairs of Dyn's upto a P90 would be a bad idea because that would then give the amp a total load of 2Ohms, even if it didn't overload it would probably get very very warm.

Hope that helps.

5. David-Bel

David-Bel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is only if you connect two sets of speakers and one of them is rated at 4 ohms. If you do so you have a risk of overload on your amp.
    Like several other people here, I have ONE pair of 52 SE connected to the A90. And I'm very happy with it.

Cheers,
    David

6. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cool, just checking!

What kind of music do you listen to David? I am sourly tempted to buy a pair of 52 SE's, I listen to dance mainly so need good bass, don't know if the SE's will provide this. Also, concidering the B&W 705's...

7. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I used to run a pair of Rega Jura's off my P90, you might want to take a look at a pair they really are underated speakers, and definatley have one of the better bottom ends I've heard on low price speakers, the treble can be a tad harsh on them though.

52's are very nice speakers (excellent mid bass) but if your after low bass they might not provide what you need, so try and get a listen.

Slingshot

8. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reckon the B&W's are going to be better bottom end then? Don't want booming, nice punchy deep bass but withough loosing out on the rest.

9. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    In my opinion (which totally goes against what everyone else thinks so I'm probably wrong) I've never got on with the bottom end on B&W's both shop demo's (floorstander couple of years ago can't remember the model) and listening to friends (DM603's I think) the timming always seemed a bit odd, bass notes seemed to carry on just slightly to long like the woofer was sort of bouncing around a bit.

Not sure how much you have to spend but I'd definatley recommend you have a listen to PMC GB1's (around 1K), and I also quite liked the KEF Q series.

My sister has a pair of Coda's (7 rings a bell but not sure, smallish front ported stand mounts) and I've never found them particularly lacking on bass especially considering their size, maybe a bit uncontrolled though.

Cheers

Slingshot

10. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after bookshelf speakers as my room is small, so I'm a bit limited by choice it would appear. I'd pay up £700 for speakers + maybe £200 on stands/fills although I quite like them on the shelf above my head at the moment.

11. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You will be very hard pressed to find a better bookshlelf speaker for the money than the Dyn. 52SE. It has good (but not earth shattering) bass and absolutely shines in every other regard. I'm using a pair as my side surrounds and Audience 72 for mains. While they don't go as deep as the 72, the 52SE are superior in every other aspect. Now I'm considering changing my fronts to 72SE or Contour T2.5.

The 52SE will run great with a P90, but as stated above you can only connect 1 pair of 4 ohm speakers to a P90.

Also, the Dyns sound great with any kind of audio. They are very neutral, revealing, and dynamic.