1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P90 Question.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ChrisM, Mar 16, 2005.

1. ChrisM

ChrisM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just upgraded my A80 by adding a P90 and whilst I am very happy with the results I appear to have a 'problem'. When the electrical socket to which my P90 is plugged into is switched on the Amp springs to life without being turned on (having been switched off correctly when last used) and both SP1 and SP2 lights are illuminated. The amp seems to work fine so I was wondering whether anyone else had experienced this and if so what they had done about it.
    I fully expect to have to return to whence it came for a warranty investigation but I don't want to be without the amp if this is known problem. :confused

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The P90 has no memory of the state it was in when you turned it off. It will always come on fully when the power is turned back on. There is nothing wrong with yout P90.

If you want it to be controlled by the A80 powering on you will need to connect the trigger out of the A80 to the trigger in of the P90. To do this you need a mono 3.5mm jack to jack lead. Then it will remain off until you bring the A80 out of standby.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. ChrisM

ChrisM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Andy,

Many thanks for the response but I may not have made myself absolutely clear. The P90 is switched OFF, and could have been in this state for some time, and the power is off at the wall socket. When the wall socket is switched on the P90 springs to like without anyone touching the on/off switch on the unit itself. At this stage both SP1 and SP2 lights are on, and they wer NOT both switched on the last time the unit was usedBear in mind that the P90 has been switched off correctly the last time it was used. Is this 'normal' for the P90 (I suspect not)?

4. norks27

norks27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Don't worry it's normal, just don't power off at the wall socket. If I unplug my arcam amps from the wall having been off then plug the units back in then the amps spring to life with both SP1 and SP2 lights coming on.
    Does that help?
    If you completely remove the power from amps then they have no memory of being off before unplugging and by default will turn on.

5. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yes this is normal. The P90 has no memory of the state it was in when you turned it off, so cannot remember that you turned it off with the speakers switched off. It will always come on full when switched on from having no mains.

If I have missunderstood what you mean and it is comming on from standby then all I can think is that turning on the A80 is momentarily making the power drop out on the P90 and it is rebooting itself as if it had been turned on from no mains.

Regards,
    Andrew

6. ChrisM

ChrisM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks guys. You have put my mind at rest. FYI - My A80 does not act in the same manner (i.e. Remains off when the mains is switched on). No problem though.

P.S. The amps sound superb dring my GR10s!!!!!