p90/3 vs avr 350 for centre channel.

HI,

Just after a bit of advice really and not sure which will sound best. I am currently running my front speakers from my arcam a80/p90 combo in stereo mode. I am now wanting to start expanding into a 5.1 system and firstly want to get myself a centre speaker. I'm planning on buying a B&W LCR 600 to match my 603-3 front L-R speakers.

To drive this speaker would I be better off getting my p90 upgraded to a 3 channel power amp or using an AVR 350 (which I'm saving up for) to do the job instead. I've read the centre channel is one of the most important for home cinema so want to get the best results without wasting money.

Thanks

AL_T

Standard Member
Hi,
My P85/3 sounds quite a bit better than the AVR350,but it cost £250 to upgrade couple of years ago,
I would say,keep saving for the AVR350 becauce you will still need a processor to get 5.1 sound and the 350 is one of the best AV amp around.

AL.

AL_T

Standard Member
AL T , are you biamping presumably?

Hi,
Well sort of,I'm using both outputs of the P85/3 ie SP1 to LF,SP2 to HF,to the fronts and centre.

Sounded a bit unbalanced using the AVR350 IMHO, I have used it this way with the AVR100 that i had before aswell.

AL.

Thanks Al,

Well if your P85/3 sounds quite a bit better than your avr350 then I'd definatly consider upgrading my p90 to 3 channel and then just use something like an avr 250 to drive my rears instead. Probably work out a little cheaper as well in the end. I would like to demo a p90/3 vs a 350 but no where has a p90/3 for sale to listen to :thumbsdow

proux

I dont think you can use a 250 this way, it doesnt have preouts if I recall

RustyZip

If memory serves me right, the AVR200 have Pre-outs, if you can pick one up 2nd hand...

so back to the main question do I spend £300 getting my p90 upgraded to a 3 channel model to drive just the centre and buy another amp for the rears or save up £1500 and buy an AVR 350 to drive the centre and rears together and use the a80/p90 to drive the two fronts!!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom