1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p85 power amp help please

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by matmum, Jul 29, 2005.

1. matmum

matmum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i just wondered if someone could tell me what would be the best way to set up my arcam p85 power amp with my arcam avr100 a/v amp.

currently i have the front speakers (ruark cl20's) wired up to the power amp with bi-wiring cable (chord rumour). and my centre speaker and surrounds connected to the av amp.

would i get an increase in quality if i bi-amped the fronts - if so how would i go about it.

2. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    For AV I don't know if you would notice a big difference with what I am about to suggest but for stereo you could try adding an A85/A90 (or FMJ) integrated and feed the front pre-outs from the avr100 into the processor fixed gain input on the a85 (see my threads for more detail) so there is no messing around with volume settings when switching from films to music (works well for me).
    In theory you will get better pre-amplification for stereo (connect CD to integrated) and more juice for your speakers to use, feed the bass into the power amp and the treble into the integrated or vice versa (experiment until you get what YOU like,) but in practice whether it will make a difference seems to depend on the speakers i.e. how power-hungry they are; some people do notice an improvement.
    I've never tried just a p85 with the avr100 so can't help you on that one.

Cheers

3. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi matmum,

Generally feeling is if your speakers are designed to be biwired, i.e. can be biamp'd, you will notice some improvement in sounds quality, as you will be using the speakers as they were designed.

Be aware, I do not, or have never owned an AVR100, so the below info may not be accurate, but hopefully someone will back me up.

As for biamp'ing, ensure you connect up the speaker cable correctly at the speaker end, and remove any links on the speaker between the terminals. Then all you need to do it connect one of the sets of connections from your rumour wire back to the AVR100, leaving the other set on the P85, and away you go. Even though you have your P85 connected via the pre-outs, the AVR100 will still output a signal via the speaker terminals.

Best is to give it a go, and see if you hear the difference.

Cheers

Andy