1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P7 Power Requirement

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by AndyCS, Nov 15, 2004.

1. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a little worried as I'm running out of power sockets, the P7 is rated at 3KW so I currently power it from its own socket, all other kit runs from a separate socket via a distribution block which is now full.

I assume the P7 will only require 3KW with all 7 channels driven at high output, this is not something that happens in reality so would it be acceptable/safe to power the P7 from a distribution block shared with other, lower power, devices?

thanks, Andy

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The 3KW actually refers to the maximum rating of the transformer in this case. You are correct that under normal operation you will never see anything like this power consuption from a P7. The normal rating for the max music load on an amplifer i.e playing loud music is 1/8 power. Even assuming the P7 is only 50% efficient in this mode that only comes to 262W. In fact the transofmer needs some power just to magnetise the core and the unit has a micro controller that will draw some power but the bottom line is you will be OK.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andrew