P7 On or Off

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by docsmith2k1, May 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A simple question, I have just bought the rather lovely AV9/P7 combination:thumbsup: and having never owned a pre-power combination before I wondered whether the P7 should be switched off after use or left on all the time, as there doesn't seem to be a standby mode.

Andy

2. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was about to post something to that extent.

Whether arcam recommends or arcamites recommend thier amps/recievers to be left on all the time or turned off...

from seperate communities they recommend most amps to be left on 24/7... also some manufacturers also recommend thier amps be left on all the time.

so in essense i want to know as well... if arcam amps/recievers should be left on all the time.

thanx

3. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    You need a Mini Jack cable, link the AV9 and P7 together (using the trigger connections), then, when you power the AV9 up or down, the P7 will also power up or down, if i'm going to do some serious viewing or listening i.e. a big movie night, i usually power up an hour before watching, to ensure everythings up to temperature.

4. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks DJBlade - you learn something every day.:smashin:
    Andy.

5. TheLastHero

TheLastHero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I turn my amp on it's because it's brand new.
    I turn it off when it's replaced by another amp or I'm moving to another house.

6. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yes, I have heard this before - but is there any logic in this, or is there any danger in leaving the amp on all the time, is there any significant costs involved in keeping it on all the time.

Andy

7. Harbornebloke

Harbornebloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Leaving the amp (or any other component) on all the time will mean that it will always be at operating temperature and will therefore sound at its best. Obviously this will use up electricity all the time and will cost more as a result but only pennies per day depending upon what kit you have. However those with an environmental conscience will turn it all off and only power up a short while before listening.

I have an A32, P35, P25, P25/3 and AVR300 all linked with mini jack cables and they all turn on and off together at the press of a button.

8. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Phil,

I have just purchased a mini jack from Currys and now my av9/p7 power on and off together - so I will probably go the environmentalist route and power down between uses.:thumbsup:

9. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    There have been some previous posts about Arcam kit getting zapped if left on when a power cut hits - I seem to recall someone loosing an AV9 as a consequence.

I prefer to switch my AV9 and Rotel power amp. on and off when I need to use them, rather than leaving the AV9 in standby and relying on the trigger cable. Having lost stuff before because of power cuts I'd rather use the kit this way. It may not be ideal, but once bitten so to speak.

HTH

Clem

10. Fidelio

Fidelio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Firstly the P7 manual does say to turn off the power if not to be used for a while. So it does have a standby mode.

A reviewer once blew his speaker drive units once during the night. A local voltage spike did the damage.

Isn't there a fire risk leaving power amps on all the time. I certainly wouldn't want to leave a 3KW amp on without me being in the house.

Fidelio