1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P7 and AV8

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Jesse350, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Jesse350

Jesse350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking of purchasing the Arcam 300 receiver but after hearing the P7 and AV8 combination at a dealer today, I may be changing my mind even if this duo cost a bunch more money. As mentioned previously in this forum, I own a pair of B&W 802 Nautilus speakers. I am a classical music lover who now wants to have home theatre as well but I still want great sound. It seems the P7 and AV8 are the way to go. Even my wife loved the sound of these components. I am sure John Dawson has a positive answer for this turn of events. Have any of you had this problem lately. Thanks for any responses.

Jesse :hiya:

2. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep I had the same problem. If your really in to music you just cant use homecinema components for music it just doesn't work. I have the AV8/P7 combo myself and its is amazing for films.
    For music play back its about the best you'll get from home cinema components up to its price. For some this is good enough and it all depends on how much you like your music.
    Really i would always advise to keep your music and movies seperate. You can get a hifi power amp and pre amp for less then the price of the P7 component alone and it will embarrass the AV8/P7 combo musically in every way.
    But then I guess if space and or price is a problem and yu cant have two seperate systems you can do alot worse then getting the AV8/P7 for an all in one music/movie setup.

3. Jesse350

Jesse350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Black Magic. I do have a Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 21 DAC which contains tubes. It has improved my stereo two channel sound quite a bit. I will continue to use it after I purchase the HT components and I hope I will still be getting great stereo sound. I do not have room for a lot of components in this New York City apartment's living room but I feel I am doing quite well so far with the sound I get.

Jesse

4. ongopt

ongopt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jessie,

I would have to agree with Black Magic up to a point. If you are using the AV8 and the P7 in combination with all your other home theater gear, music will sound good but not quite as good as dedicated two channel gear.

There are some things you can do to make the AV8/P7 combo sound very close. Turn off all DSP settings by designating all your inputs (DVD, VCR, SAT, etc) to analog-direct. Change "source to tape" to something besides CD, such as "AUX to Tape" for example. Make sure your speakers are reset to large (if using them as small in movie mode and not using a sub for music) when listening to them in two channel mode. Make sure THX EX is set to "Auto". Save all to a new preset. Also, make sure all tone settings are turned off.

These above settings seem to provide the shortest and cleanest signal path for two channel signal . Now, press the little blue button on the back of the AV8. This will float the chassis and lower the noise floor dramatically.

Last, but not last (and it really works), unplug your satellite or cable box when listening to two channel music. These boxes are huge sources of noise and are one of the biggest contributers to poor sound quality in pre/pros.

When you do all this, you will notice a more relaxed, open and resolving sound. This assume that you have a good source component (it seems you do) and good cabling to realize all these benefits.

Regards,
    Pete