1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P7 Amp v. P1000 Amp

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gostan, Jul 29, 2005.

1. gostan

gostan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How will the upcoming P1000 amplifier differ from the existing P7 amplifier. I have not seen the full P1000 specs, but they seem fairly similar power-wise with the P1000 costing considerably less. Is this another example of trickle-down technology with reduced prices?

2. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    P7 amplfier uses identical amplifer modules each having own rectification. Power comes from two 1.5KVA toroids. I believe that the P1000 uses a shared rectified PSU with one toroidal transformer. Should still sound pretty darn good but I would say (and hope) that P7 would have the edge.

I am a bit drunk so hope that makes sense

Darren

3. gostan

gostan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Darren:

You explained yourself elegantly. I will offer a toast to you this evening.

Stan

4. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Whenever you compare an FMJ unit with a corresponding DIVA unit, the FMJ unit will always be better. The FMJ units are the upmarkets Arcam units and so in the DIVA range costs would have been cut. For example look at how the DVD tray opens - on the FMJ it is very smooth but on the DIVA range it is not. (I noticed that at a demo).

5. Sparky66

Sparky66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sab,
    I have had the opportunity to own both the Diva DV79 and Fmj DV29, and to be honest they seem to feel,work and display beautiful pictures identically - even the drive mechanism on the tray moves and sounds equal.
    I'd say if both units were covered and played back to back, I would find it hard to seperate the differences between the two - to me and my system i.e. - they're that identical. Other than the DV29 having full HDMI Multichannel compliance there is little difference in their performance . Trust me - my wife reminds me about this and the price difference ,very often !!