P42UT50B - Record freeview HD?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by scottaii, Jul 27, 2012.

1. scottaii

scottaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I've just got a P42UT50B, WOW! what a great TV.
    Looking through the settings on the TV there is an option to recored a show. Do you know where it is recored to, and how it works? im a bit confused?

Cheers,
    Scott

2. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    You need to buy an external recorder to do that, there is not one built in afaik.

3. scottaii

scottaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so i can't plug in a USB drive / HDD and let the TV automatically record onto it?

You're saying i have to buy a separate recorder and the TV simply sends a signal to the recorder to record something?

Cheers,
    Scott

4. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The specs for the UT50 don't mention the 'HDD recording' option that is available on models higher up the range, so your best bet will be to buy a separate twin-tuner Freeview PVR. The Panasonic website is not always accurate though, so it's definitely worth checking your manual.

Most TVs have the facility to output a TV signal (via scart ?) for recording to an external recorder (such as a DVD recorder) but this is a pretty awkward process (you'd have to set two lots of timers, for example) and you wouldn't be able to record one channel and watch another. A PVR is definitely the way to go if you're serious about wanting to watch and record Freeview.

5. scottaii

scottaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thank you for looking up the specs and the suggestions.
    Here is a comparison of the low-end and high-end models if anyone else stumbles across this post

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/287749/module/general/compare/products/displayResult.html?p=TX-P42UT50B&p=TX-P50GT50B

The only reason was that I was slightly confused, I was watching TV last night, and I had the option to "timer program" (or something like that) which goes into a different screen which sets reminders, when I pressed down, the reminder symbol changed to a record...? I Thought I might have been lucky and got a feature I wasn't expecting!
    When I go back today after work I'll try connecting a USB drive and tryrecording something, I will report back.
    Cheers,
    Scott

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  6. Mark uk

Mark uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I think you can only timer program the tv to set reminders or change channels.

7. mikej

mikej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    That probably sets the timer which tells the TV to switch to that channel at that particular time, ready for external recording.

Saying that - I would have thought they'd use a timer/clock icon, rather than a record icon. The record icon might be the same whether it records direct to HDD or simply outputs a signal for another recorder, I guess.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got HDD recording on my GT30 but never use it. The fact that you can't watch one channel while recording another means that it's not really a suitable replacement for a proper PVR.

8. scottaii

scottaii
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys were right. The recording feature simply turns the channel over so that an external recorder can record it.