P35-DQ6 and HD2900XT

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Bootross, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Bootross

Bootross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just built my 1st system inculding a Gigabyte p35-dq6 mobo and a hd2900xt and some other cool stuff.

I've connected 1 8 pin pcie and 1 6 pin pcie to the gpu but do I have to connect the extre pcie power connector on the motherboard aswell, in the manual it said to use it if running crossfire which I'm not.

I've got it plugged in at the minute but have not turned system on for 1st boot yet, I'm probably being daft because I don't suppose the graphics card will take more power than it needs but have built a full system and don't wanna see £925 go up in a puff of smoke!!

Any advice would be cool, cheers Bobby.

2. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    follow the motherboard guide - if you are not using crossfire then it reads as if it's not needed.

Motherboard usually has the main 20+4 connection and also sometimes a futher 4pin one somewhere and that is normally it.

Some boards do have others but generally follow the motherboard manaul and you should be fine

3. Bootross

Bootross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot buddy, I had kinda figured that myslef and as I wanted to get at it and just give it blast without and it's now running fine.

I spent about 2 hours pulling my hair out though as PC would start to power up then shut off after a few seconds. I had no internet connection at the time so had to just figure it out on my own - eventually tracked it down to the cpu fan connecter not being seated properly which meant I had to take it all apart again as it's connected under a tuniq tower 120 cooler and it's quite restrictive!!

Anyhow thanks again and I'm now up and running and getting ready to start the overclock!!

What kinda of CPU/FSB clock speeds do you think are good for my system? I was kinda wanting to run FSB1333.

Antec p182 Case
    Corsair 620w PSU
    Q6600
    Tuniq Tower 120 CPU Cooler
    P35-DQ6
    2GB Crucial Ballistic PC8500
    2x320gb SATAII Hard Drive
    ASUS Radeon HD2900XT

Any help would be cool, like max recommended temp for Q6600, cheers Bobby.

4. booyaka

booyaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    max temps depends. I personally say 60-65 when all four cores are under full load. By that i mean stressing with Orthos or alike.

It should never reach these temps when gaming or alike.

Regards the FSB - just bump the FSB of the cpu up about 20Mhz at a time and stress test it for an 1 hour or so.