P1s, intermittent issues and Arcam fault finding?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MI55ION, Nov 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    I have three Arcam P1s in total, two of which were purchased April last year. The problem is one of them seem to be producing an unnaturally loud 'buzzing' transformer like sound. I say it's unnatural because although the other two have small signature transformer sound, they are nowhere near as loud as this one. The problem is intermittent but has always been there from day one, it occurs infrequently but probably at least a few times every couple of days. To compound matters recently I noticed the second P1 has started acting strange whereby the sound will suddenly cut out during a listening session. The green power light will however stay on. The only way to get the sound back would be to remove the power lead and then plug it back in. On one occasion even this didn't work and the sound just came back on at its own accord. This problem is also intermittent but worse because it happens less frequently, three or four times a week.

I've gone through all the steps and can say I'm 99% sure that it is not any ancillary equipment at fault. It's left me wondering, have I been extremely unlucky or has the shop fobbed me off with dud gear. They were the last two the shop had in stock before being discontinued. They came with full warranty and everything but the fact that the issues are intermittent has me concerned that I will have to make a long journey and spend time without any amplification for at least a couple of weeks only for them to be returned from Arcam saying there's nothing wrong!

Has anybody come across any of these problems with their Arcam amps? How are Arcam at dealing with 'intermittent' issues? Is there certain fault finding procedures in place that will guarantee they find and resolve the issues? Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    I had a similar problem with intermittent failure with the CD82 (under guarantee). The first time it came back after having been handled by a local generic repair shop with "no fault found". I emailed Arcam UK with a problem description and request for assistance in obtaining proper service, and received an answer from the local importer, who resolved the problem. I was without the CDP for around 2 months. When my AV9 went wrong I contacted the importer directly with a detailled fault explanation, although it took over 2 months in service. I would expect Arcam UK to be considerably faster.

So basically, I'd say it's down to your writing a comprehensive explanation of the symptoms so that they know what to look for and not to return it after a cursory inspection.

3. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    Thanks Mark, that's a good idea to slip in a little description of the fault(s). My fear is exactly that they would return it after a cursory inspection. I would like to think that Arcam technicians will instantly recognise the fault based on my description. I've decided to live with the issues for a little while longer, at least until after Christmas however with new toys coming in the new year I'm dreading the thought of being without decent amplification. :(

4. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    Argh!! It just happened again. 4 hours into my session, minding my own business listening to some tunes and silence, the right channel cut out. Unplugging and plugging doesn't seem to be working any more. Looks like I'll have to wait for it come back on at its own time. How frustrating is that? :mad:

EDIT: After about 6 minutes it just came back on. :suicide:

5. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    A temperature dependent fault? Sounds like something that will be easily found with soak testing. Send it in with a comprehensive explanation.