P12-300SB vs PR results

I imagined that sooner or later someone had doubts. If you look at the previous graphs you realize that they are not perfect. The secret is to find the right place to place the sub, the shape of the room and the soundproofing.

In what way can Xt32 make any difference. The response shown looks to be almost perfect, in fact so perfect it makes me wonder if something is not quite right with the shown response
I was talking in general. It did for me but If it doesn't in this case then so be it.

Sorry why do you use automatic equalization? I got the result manually with REW and miniDSP
Maybe a few years ago I might have gone into manual equalisation, especially before xt32. But right now xt32, Dynamic EQ along with BEQ works very well for me so I don't feel the need to do it. I don't get the chest slam but that's about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will be happy with the future upgrades, maybe an extra sub at some point too.

Hey jon how would rate the performance of the PR compared to the SB?

About the same 🤣 I 'think' I can feel a bit more but in a blind test I probably couldn't tell. I did some fresh measurements, I'll try and upload them in a bit as they are on a laptop.

I never got a reply from BK either, disappointing.

Last edited:
So it seems the further left of the MLP I go the more <30 I get, I thought I did another even further over but seems I didn't. I'll wait till I get a new avr before doing any further measurements and see what that can do.

p12 pr latest.jpg

In what way can Xt32 make any difference. The response shown looks to be almost perfect, in fact so perfect it makes me wonder if something is not quite right with the shown response

The scale is 10dB increments which makes it look smoother than it is, and makes the low end roll off look a lot less steep.

never got a reply from BK either, disappointing
Sorry what info were you asking for?

That response is looking good jonjames. You have alot of headroom in the 25hz to 95hz, so if you ever get a minidsp you can cut these so they are flat to below 25hz.
Keep experimenting.

I sent over 2 rew graphs of both the subs showing the same result. They were identical and was hoping they could answer why but I guess it’s a positioning issue.

I’m hoping to get a new AVR soon which should improve the flatness.

Oh yeah but you did confirm the 15hz tune of the PR with your nearfield measurement.
The new AVR should tame those peaks too.

I had a thought yesterday, do you think it would make any difference having the passive radiator at the front and speaker at the bottom? 🤔

My understanding is that low frequency is omnidirectional so it shouldn't make a difference. But there is only one way of finding out.
Im guessing you are going to tip the subwoofer on its side?

I could do that I guess, easier than swapping them round. I'll try when I next get some free time.

Got chance to try with PR facing forward with main driver to right. I was expecting a difference on the low end but there isn't, only higher up from 45hz. I did not run audyssey though, just thought, I should of tried with audyssey off :thumbsdow Will do that next time!

PR forward.jpg

It shouldn`t really matter other than perhaps for the PR driver sag in time. There was big arguing in AVSForum years ago that the passive radiator shouldn`t be at bottom. Also long time subwoofer reviewer Jim Wilson mentioned the same thing here at AVF when P12-PR was introduced, he was suprised BK put it at bottom. However REL does that too with their S range woofers, the T7x/T9x has PR driver front firing. Would be nice to hear from some long time subwoofer designer does it really matter... I hope i didn`t scare PR owners now though. 😅 Speculation..

Does it make any difference where the front firing driver is facing, whether it is facing forward, facing inward or facing outward against a wall or even firing upwards.

Does it make any difference where the front firing driver is facing, whether it is facing forward, facing inward or facing outward against a wall or even firing upwards.
In my testing it didn't, my previous sub was DF and I got exactly the same result as FF. I would have thought some frequencies would get lost/absorbed in the carpet but doesn't seem that way.

There must be a reason why some people are recommended FF for wooden floorboards rather than DF.

If there is no difference, if both DF and FF shake the floors just as much as each other and the energy isn't absorbed by the floor then why some people /retailers recommend FF for wooden floorboards and DF for concrete floors.

The only difference will be the slightly different driver location relative to the room and MLP that a rotation will cause. Carpets are nowhere near thick or absorbent enough to affect bass wavelengths.

You'll get very similar levels of vibration through a suspended floor with both types of sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom