P12-300SB vs PR results

Unfortunately, the length of the cables does not allow many movements, the sub is positioned in a corner of the room behind me and in front of the narrowest side of the room (another corner) I have the desk with the speakers close to the wall. It is certainly not the right location but it is a PC and hobby room. However, by moving the sub or the microphone the response curves change radically.

However the great flexibility of the 2x4hd mini dsp allows you to adjust everything and I use it as a DAC

It sounds like you have done as much as you can within the restrictions of cable length and room layout.
I think corner loading the subwoofer is actually a good idea since the minidsp addresses any peaks no sweat.

Are you happy with the current bass response or would you like to tweak things more?

The best I was able to do with the equalizer curve

Attachments

• Cattura eq1.PNG
    Cattura eq1.PNG
    437.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Cattura dsp.PNG
    Cattura dsp.PNG
    219.3 KB · Views: 85
I received my new P12-300 PR last week and set it up the other day. Ran Audyssey and then used REW to check results. I was hoping to get a bit closer to 20hz but I am getting what looks like the exact same response from the SB version. Tom said the PR version is tuned to 15hz, I know that's not what is likely to be achieved but to get no improvement seems a little odd?
So yeah a bit miffed it is no different, another reason for buying it was for the mahogany finish so I will keep it although I'm a little disappointed there is no improvement, unless I am missing something?
I have the SB model and I was referred to this thread when I asked if the PR is that much better than the SB. The short answer seems to be "maybe?". If it is any comfort, it has taken a while for my sub to fully break in. So if your PR matches the SB now, maybe in a few weeks or months time it will exceed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The subs were most likely made at different times.

A more accurate test, to reduce differences in manufacturering tolerances, is to use the same amp and driven driver in both cabinets.

If swapping the amps and driven driver around still makes no or very little difference, then it probably means there's not much difference between SB and PR.

I have the SB model and I was referred to this thread when I asked if the PR is that much better than the SB. The short answer seems to be "maybe". If it is any comfort, it has taken a while for my sub to fully break in. So if your PR matches the SB now, maybe in a few weeks or months time it will exceed it.
How long would you say it takes to break in?
From what I understand the passive radiators give you extra output so there will be a difference.
As I have never has the SB I couldn't tell you if the price difference between the PR and the SB is worth it, perhaps jonjames can answer this.

Forgive my ignorance here but the measurements are not running the subs at or near maximum output? Could it be that the additional effect of the passive radiator is accentuated with increased output level?

I don't know about that Dobby, but wouldn't that negate the point of having the PR if you have to drive it really hard to get the extra power.
But you may be right.

How long would you say it takes to break in?
On average I only use it about 2-3 hours a week. It sounded pretty horrible when I first got it and it took a few months before it sounded decent. Now it sounds great, eddy especially with BEQ. Sorry I can't be more exact.

Perhaps there is no real difference at low to moderate volumes because the SB has more free internal volume than the PR which compensates for having no passive radiator?

The large passive radiator is not flat and together with the basket reduces internal cabinet volume.

Perhaps there is no real difference at low to moderate volumes because the SB has more free internal volume than the PR which compensates for having no passive radiator?

The large passive radiator is not flat and together with the basket reduces internal cabinet volume.
I'm out of my depth here so I will defer to any audio engineers on this.
On average I only use it about 2-3 hours a week. It sounded pretty horrible when I first got it and it took a few months before it sounded decent
Break in period seems fine, but sounding horrible at first is quite odd.
Did you move the position of the sub during this break in period?

Break in period seems fine, but sounding horrible at first is quite odd.
Did you move the position of the sub during this break in period?
Nope, I didn't move it When I say horrible, it just didn't sound as good as I expected it to. The bass didn't sound full, I felt like some frequencies were missing. Now I think about it, that was weird. At the time I was a little worried.

This is what I achieved by moving the sub to the opposite side of the room at 2.80 meters from me. 1 graph with raw response and 1 equalized.

Attachments

• BK 300 PR EQ.PNG
    BK 300 PR EQ.PNG
    129.4 KB · Views: 69
  • BK 300 PR.PNG
    BK 300 PR.PNG
    118.5 KB · Views: 73
Coulson do you have a measurement mic, it would be nice to see what your reaponse is like.

Angelo1 I would take your new sub response over the previous one, as good as the previous one was.

Coulson, hai un microfono di misurazione, sarebbe bello vedere com'è la tua risposta.

Angelo1 Prenderei la tua nuova risposta secondaria rispetto alla precedente, buona quanto la precedente.
Cambiando la posizione cambia tutto, la gamma bassa del PR è sbalorditiva, ma il suono che ha il mio vecchio Monitor Audio radius 360 Hd pur non andando molto basso, è migliore.

Changing the position changes everything, the low range of the PR is astounding, but the sound that my old Monitor Audio radius 360 Hd has while not going very low, is better.
Cambiando la posizione cambia tutto, la gamma bassa del PR è sbalorditiva, ma il suono che ha il mio vecchio Monitor Audio radius 360 Hd pur non andando molto basso, è migliore.
Changing the position changes everything, the low range of the PR is astounding, but the sound that my old Monitor Audio radius 360 Hd has while not going very low, is better.

^^^ Your response looks really good, I wish I could get that! I may do some fresh measurements soon now I've had it for a few months. Hoping to get a new AVR soon too with xt32, hopefully that will help also.

I think you will be happy with the future upgrades, maybe an extra sub at some point too.

Hey jon how would rate the performance of the PR compared to the SB?

^^^ Your response looks really good, I wish I could get that! I may do some fresh measurements soon now I've had it for a few months. Hoping to get a new AVR soon too with xt32, hopefully that will help also.
Xt32 should make a difference.

Sorry why do you use automatic equalization? I got the result manually with REW and miniDSP

Xt32 should make a difference.
In what way can Xt32 make any difference. The response shown looks to be almost perfect, in fact so perfect it makes me wonder if something is not quite right with the shown response

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom