1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P1 monoblocks versus bi-amping with P7

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by rsjt, Dec 7, 2003.

1. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the moment I am using 4 of my P7 channels to bi-amp my Monitor Audio GR20 front speakers. I'm then using an additional P85 for my surround back speakers to get all seven channels. But the new P1 monoblocks look pretty tasty. Anyone tried them out yet ? In particular any views on whether they represent a major step up from bi-amping with a P7 ?

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    John Dawson posted this re the P1 vs P7 (28/10/03)

"P1s
    I will try to bring a pair along to the Event in Guildford. It is up to Gordon and team to see if they could be demoed (probably a bit of a tall order given all the other things going on). But at least I can talk people through it, pop the hood (as our American cousins say) and so on.

I have heard P1s in action here and they are excellent - and definitely better than the P7 channels (which are pretty good anyway I think we can all agree). The design is based on the P7 topology but with a bigger box, more heatsink space and more PCB space available we have been able to refine and improve that design in many areas. And a humungous toroidal power transformer dedicated to just one channel helps too!

I will also try to take an engineering sample of the AVR300 to Guildford - not for demo though as it is a work in progress.

John Dawson (Arcam)"

So I think that there are difference and you might be best to give them a back to back with the P7. Having said that the rational of buying another P7 is both economically sound and also aesthically pleasing. Shame you are not able to pick up P7's secondhand, only seen one in 6 months.

Regards
    John

3. rsjt

rsjt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your views guys, think I'll have to go and demo the P1s just to put my mind at rest.