P.M.C. Speakers in 5.1 system

DJBlade

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have the PMC DB1's as rears, and FB1's as fronts, cant make my mind up on the center speaker, the TB2 looks the natural choice, but, its big, rear ported and will be used right under my wall mounted plasma 100mm at most off the wall, then theres the DB1C, a much smaller center speaker, which will probably be a better choice for near wall use, but will look lost between the FB1's, the CB6 is out of the question at £1500.00 for a center speaker.

What do you PMC owners use, which combination ??

Simple choice if i'd bought GB1's as fronts would be the DB1C, i just cant decide..............

One of the guys on the forums replied to a similar question i posed recently in the Arcam forum that the DB1 would sound LOST between the FB1's,

what do you guys think ??

TIA.....

A DB1-C isn't going to be lost, but it's not going to be as suited as a the TB model... i'm sure you'd be more than happy with it though.

Can you borrow one to try?

i could put 1 of my rears between just for a general idea, but i'd like some input from the forums, as i'd like whichever i buy here for xmas.......

What do you PMC owners use, which combination ??

Simple choice if i'd bought GB1's as fronts would be the DB1C, i just cant decide..............

One of the guys on the forums replied to a similar question i posed recently in the Arcam forum that the DB1 would sound LOST between the FB1's,

what do you guys think ??

TIA.....
See my signature. The DB1C sounded lost at high volumes when I heard it between GB1s. The TB2C sounds absolutely bang on. I actually think it be the better speaker even if you had DB1 front left and right.

Russell

Russell

DJBlade asked me for these in a PM, but you can't attach images in a PM and I have been rather lazy at sorting out some form of online image hosting, so....
DJBlade said:
Hi again, would you be kind enough to send some pics of you fronts, just want to see how big the tb2 is in real life !!

Thats if you can find the time, i understand if you cant....
Try these for size.

It obviously normally lives on the bottom shelve of the stand, but I move it up to the top shelf for movies on the projector screen.

Cheers

Russell

Attachments

• PMC1.jpg
    PMC1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • PMC2.jpg
    PMC2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 694
Lovely setup Russell :thumbsup: the PMC's look really beautifull !

Edit : I think you really need to get you're setup in the Members Home Cinema Gallery it will certainly be a worthy addition :)

Thanks Recruit,

The Atacama AV stand is the next thing to go. It was bought as it was the only thing capable of supporting my old 76Kg toshiba CRT.

The TB2 doesn't sound at it's best nearly on the floor and boxed in. I've seen a rather nice Vogels LCD stand which has a movable shelf and is just about adjustable in every direction. I like products when they promise the chance of being the last one you'll need to buy.

Then again, I didn't NEED to upgrade the Kefs, or NEED a more expensive fixed frame PJ screen. I'm sure, you of all people, understand where I'm coming from.;)

Russell

I will be testing a out a PMC 5.1 system tomorrow.
I am interested in
FB1+ fronts, TB2+C centre & GB1+ rears, or
GB1+, TB2+c & GB1+, or
GB1+, TB2+C & DB1+

Does anyone have any views on
FB1+ vs GB1+ as fronts?
TB2+C vs DB1M-C+ as centre?
GB1+ vs DB1+ as rears?

I will add my own comments after tomorrow but would appreciate any other views.
Thanks,
Dave

Hi there, a question to all of you who use GB1s, my living room is 12'x14' do you think this is too small for these speakers? I have been reading many hi-fi forums and reviews of floorstanding speakers and some say there may be problems with room resonance when using speakers with extended bass in smaller rooms. I shall be using them for stereo only. I would welcome your experiences/advice.

Thanks, Matt

Hi again all, i've settled for the TB2-M-C, and just ordered one today

matt2006, i use the FB1's in a room 14ft X 14ft 6", the GB1's should be fine in your room......

You really ought to listen to the CB6 then, it a definite keeper for life.
Stop it! Don't tempt me. Until bonus time next year.;)

Russell

PS. I did get your courtesy call and rang back 10mins later but your were engaged. Time: 5:50pm. Dedication indeed.:smashin:

Russell

I am interested in
GB1+, TB2+c & GB1+, or
GB1+, TB2+C & DB1+

FB1+ vs GB1+ as fronts?
GB1+ vs DB1+ as rears?

Thanks,
Dave
As I said above, the TB2 is, IMHO, a much more capable centre speaker.

GB1s, I feel, would be overkill for surrounds and would release funds for Crustyloafer's beloved CB6. I haven't heard one, mostly because I dare not!

What sub are you going to be using? In 5.1, it's as important as any other speaker, but you make no mention of it.

Russell

Have to agree with Russ, GB1's would be overkill as rears, in fact, the DB1's are to a degree, as, at £700.00 lots of people on these forums could only dream of having them as there main stereo pair !!

I consider myself very fortunate to be in a financial position to have bought them, and also very lucky that my wife does not mind me spending all our hard earned cash on this home cinema lark !!

Hi DJ
I would say that you made the right choice in going for the TB2M-C as I been using one of the DB1+ I got last week as a center with my TB2+ and although it is a great little speaker I do think that it seems to lack a little in weight.

Are you using DB1 brackets with your rears?

:)

I will be using the brackets, they arrive tomorrow, wont get the TB2 till the new year though, such a shame.......

I will be using the brackets, they arrive tomorrow, wont get the TB2 till the new year though, such a shame.......

Yeah I'm in the same boat it doesn't look like I'll be able to complete my PMC set up the new year. :(

I take it that your new FB1+'s arrived safe and sound then?

yep, just landed

Check out my signature. PMC's are awesome. In particular the CB6, probably the best centre speaker I've ever heard (including Wilson Benesche). OK. not cheap but definately worth it !

I am interested in
GB1+, TB2+c & GB1+, or
GB1+, TB2+C & DB1+

FB1+ vs GB1+ as fronts?
GB1+ vs DB1+ as rears?

Thanks,
Dave

Your demo is set up and ready to go. I have to say it is sounding pretty awesome with the Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD running through it. Make sure you bring your favourite discs with you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom