P.E.V/P.E.T The 'Personal Electric Vehicle/Transport' Thread.

The scooters all round us and hopefully banned soon. Kid with fake identity card are leading to young kids riding them and dumping them. Unlike the bikes you can dump them anywhere, no need for a bike rack. Further like the above picture, promoted by irresponsible companies without a helmet which is a requirement. No car company would be allow to run such ad's.
Why is a helmet a requirement for cycling or a scooter? It is not a legal requirement.

Hi. I think that level with 100+ kilos of me on forest tracks and gravel ‘roads’ and stubble fields would give up very quickly unfortunately and it’s too much money to find out.
You’d need something very different for forest tracks for sure!

An e-mtb would be more suitable.

Just to keep an open and balanced mind ;)
Ban these dangerous things?

f591c692dc3ac088b8cafa46a0bda000.png
This article helps with identifying the main cause of accidents and what group of transport needs to be looked at to improve road safety:

^Thanks for that.
It's just annoying when people are against things simply because it's new.
We must all know that there is not a chance in hell alcohol would be legal if anyone introduced it today.
And there are of course arguments about 'weed' vs alcohol and how one is legal, the other not, yet the legal version can be linked to much worse things, but hey we are used to that, so that's ok.

We need to get people out of cars, esp for short journeys and some small, light, electric means of personal transport is an excellent solution.
One that can be picked up, carried, put into your car, even taken into the workplace is ideal.

Some people just don't like change and new things.

One of the came past me from behind on the pavement the other day at frightening speed, with a big lad on. Didn't hear it coming. If I had stepped left at the wrong moment it would have been pretty nasty.
some cyclists are equals in this aspect. Fair few horror incidents and even deaths...

^Thanks for that.
It's just annoying when people are against things simply because it's new.
We must all know that there is not a chance in hell alcohol would be legal if anyone introduced it today.
And there are of course arguments about 'weed' vs alcohol and how one is legal, the other not, yet the legal version can be linked to much worse things, but hey we are used to that, so that's ok.

We need to get people out of cars, esp for short journeys and some small, light, electric means of personal transport is an excellent solution.
One that can be picked up, carried, put into your car, even taken into the workplace is ideal.

Some people just don't like change and new things.
The practicalities of say taking an electric scooter on a train vs bike makes much more sense, as we all know a train journey usually involves a short commute either end, so they look ideal.

Yes some people ride scooters on pavements and are a nuisance, but so are some car drivers, but it doesn’t mean all car drivers are, just like the other.

Why is a helmet a requirement for cycling or a scooter? It is not a legal requirement.

It is a legal requirement for a rented scooter as part of the legislation which set up,the 'trial' zones.

It is a legal requirement for a rented scooter as part of the legislation which set up,the 'trial' zones.
Nope, you are wrong there.

• It is not compulsory to wear a cycle helmet but the Government advises it - and also recommends hi-vis clothing.
No one wears a helmet in the Bristol area on the trial scooters.

It in the t&c’s
I just posted a link that clearly states it’s not a legal requirement by the government.

There maybe rentals around the country that make it a requirement for rental, but it’s not universal and not a legal requirement (which is what we were talking about)

I just posted a link that clearly states it’s not a legal requirement by the government.

There maybe rentals around the country that make it a requirement for rental, but it’s not universal and not a legal requirement (which is what we were talking about)
Which bit of t&c do you not understand. The government does not define the t&c of use does it? and I never anything about legal.

Which bit of t&c do you not understand. The government does not define the t&c of use does it? and I never anything about legal.
Which bit did you not understand about it’s not universal? The rental t&c are not a government legal requirement, it maybe a rental requirement but that is not the same.

All you need to know about e-scooters as trial begins in Bristol and Bath​

• It is not compulsory to wear a cycle helmet but the Government advises it - and also recommends hi-vis clothing.

And…

Current UK law—remember, the same law that is under review—does not require helmets for riders of e-scooters.

Which bit did you not understand about it’s not universal? The rental t&c are not a government legal requirement, it maybe a rental requirement but that is not the same.

All you need to know about e-scooters as trial begins in Bristol and Bath​

And…

Current UK law—remember, the same law that is under review—does not require helmets for riders of e-scooters.
Thank you agreeing with what I just said. The t&c come into because not conforming to them mean you are technically not insured as your not complying with the t&c. Now I don’t think there has has been a test case on this but it’s coming I am sure.

Like I just told it’s a requirement not a legal requirement for the rental scheme. Of course privately owned scooter is something else.

Thank you agreeing with what I just said. The t&c come into because not conforming to them mean you are technically not insured as your not complying with the t&c. Now I don’t think there has has been a test case on this but it’s coming I am sure.

Like I just told it’s a requirement not a legal requirement for the rental scheme. Of course privately owned scooter is something else.
Not a single person wears one and the link I sent states it’s not a requirement. Being published by ITV I would say if this was incorrect information the Police or rental company would have quickly corrected them.

Wearing helmets should never be made a legal requirement. I almost always wear a helmet when cycling, but can confirm the research that wearing a helmet means you have 40% higher chance of being knocked off by a car.

If you cycle in traffic with a helmet even with high vis clothing you are invisible to most drivers. Take off your helmet and it’s amazing how much room drivers give you.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom