1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P.C v Pioneer 737

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stefinch, Apr 7, 2001.

1. stefinch

stefinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi does anyone know if a pioneer 737 dvd player linked to a seleco projector with component video leads would out perform a p.c
    dont no how to get the best results from a p.c what's the best card to use for the video output, linking sound up to digital amp etc.. any info needed to get the best picture/sound quality thanks steve stefinch@bigfoot.com

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my experience, a standalone DVD player would out perform a PC DVD. I have one on an Athlon 1.4Ghz machine with a pretty cool graphics card etc etc and the quality cannot be compared to that of a standalone machine. Of course, the quality is only as good as the monitor you are using. My Phillips widescreen, now deceased, showed every down side of every disc you put in it. When I linked it up to a projector, the problems weren't apparent. The TV was creating problems.

There's bound to be a lot of people who will swear blind that the PC will deliver a superior picture to that of a standalone machine.

Only advice I can give is try out both via a projector. I'd still go for the 737 though!!!

Cheers

Paul :p

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Does you Seleco have an RGB input?

Either through a 15 pin d-sub VGA input or 4/5 BNC RGBS/RGBHV?

If it has use a PC, preferably with either a Geforce 2 or Radeon based graphics card.

Rick

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    There are two ways to connect a P.C to a T.V/Monitor/Projector.

1/ Using an extra MPeg card which is looped through your Graphics card and out to your monitor. This method also gives you the option to route a signal direct from the Mpeg card to your T.V via S/Video connector.

2/ Routing the signal directly from the P.C to the Projector via the Graphics cards D connector. This is how a superior picture is achived as this way the P.C scales the resoluton higher than that of a dedicated DVD player. If a DVD produces 500 lines mag a P.C can go to 800 or higher depending on the projector.

I ran option 1 for a year before
    I gave up and bought a 737. Reasons:-

1/ The hassle of booting up a P.c every time I wanted to watch a film.

2/ The P.C had to be kept close to the T.V because my cables weren't long enough.

3/ Had no remote controle for the P.C

If youve got dedicated Home cinema with a screen wider than 6' then use a P.C.

If you have a screen 46" across or below the 737 is an excellent player. But this is only my opinion.

5. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, that explains it properly, can you tell me if it,s worth doing the pc option for me has i have,
    7ft wide screen , seleco svp 310, with rgb inputs via bnc which include the h/hv sync, and v/sync a total of 5 bnc,s and also a rgb scart input.
    The main reasons i ask this are because can my projector handle the bandwidth from the pc vga out ,
    what cable do i use, what resolution can i set the pc to with my projector,
    also can i keep my pc monitor connected at the same time via some sort of splitter,
    or would you go dedicated descent stand alone player., cheers chrisy t.