OZ - The HBO series

Wildkarrde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever came across this being shown again? It's a series i missed and have been looking at the boxset on AMazon for a while(never drops to a 'bargain' price).
Did anyone who watched it find it to be a bit like The Wire ie a hidden gem? The Wire came from nowhere to this cult status, just wondering if this is similar?
Of course, if it's a piece of $4it then feel free to tell me and not waste my time!!

Keep a look out for adebisi's hat .. maybe a bit of an in-joke, but how does he keep it attached to his bald head (Adebisi = father xxx the drug lord priest brother from Lost).
Good series, Should be called "how to be sane in an insane world"

Great show I believe it was shown late night on C4 many years ago I obtained it through other means fantastic show up there with The Wire

I had a search before i posted too :rolleyes:.

I take it that this a DVD purchase only then?

I've even searched on Sky and there is no listing, it seems to have disappered into obscurity..................

Yeah I would of thought it would be a dvd only purchase but take comfort in knowing that OZ is worth its weight in gold. You will also recognise allot of the characters from The Wire in OZ. OZ in a nut shell is a brutal adult show which will keep you glued to the screen and make you feel like you are in prison with all the convicts. I honestly cant recommend it enough. :smashin:

Seconded on the love for Oz.

I stumbled across it one night and just found it compulsive viewing. I missed most series' due to never remembering it was on or being out but what I did see was great. I purchased an 'ebay' box set of it years ago as boxsets were only available in the US. Never got round to watching it though as I dont speak Chinese and therefore cant translate which disc is which series/episode. Plus since we moved ive no idea where the box set is. :facepalm:

Am hoping that Sky Atlantic will start showing at some point. Its not just The Wire with lots of Oz people in, Law and Order (all versions) also has quite a few of them, with the SVU guy now being one of the highest paid tv actors in the US.

Keep a look out for adebisi's hat .. maybe a bit of an in-joke, but how does he keep it attached to his bald head

My wife always asked that too.

This along with The Sopranos and The Shield are easily some of the best TV ever made.

You also have people like J.K. Simmons who went on to play J. Jonah Jameson in Spiderman.

Very gritty show, very violent but also thought provoking.

It's worth checking out the pre-owns on Amazon. They are from about £5 to £10.

Also i see the sets pop up in CEX manchester for about £5/6, and i think they have an online stock list.

A must see show thats for sure but not for the faint hearted though.

If its an HBO series I wouldnt be surprised to see it pop up on sky Atlantic at some point as they have all their back catalogue now.

If its an HBO series I wouldnt be surprised to see it pop up on sky Atlantic at some point as they have all their back catalogue now.

Hopefully :thumbsup:

Think this show passed me by like The Shield so will see if shows up on Atlantic if not will get the DVD's and give it a watch.

Hoping Atlantic also show Deadwood and BoB :thumbsup:
As I would love to watch them back in HD

I have emailed SKY Atlantic customer services to find out their stance on OZ & Deadwood.
Will update once i hear back from them :smashin:

I have emailed SKY Atlantic customer services to find out their stance on OZ & Deadwood.
Will update once i hear back from them :smashin:

Better ask them about Carnivale aswell while your at it :D, damn what a good show that was :smashin:

Hopefully :thumbsup:

Think this show passed me by like The Shield so will see if shows up on Atlantic if not will get the DVD's and give it a watch.

Hoping Atlantic also show Deadwood and BoB :thumbsup:
As I would love to watch them back in HD

TCM channel are currently broadcasting the first season of Deadwood and will be showing Band of Brothers from 8th May. Don't know whether the rights will be moving across to Atlantic in near future though.

I also missed out on The Shield when it was broadcast on Channel 5 but got the Deluxe Edition Seasons 1-7 for £40 online last year which I'd highly recommend, as not only is it an amazing show but the box-set looks good too as it's designed to look like a police case file :cool:

SKY Atlantic have no plans to show either OZ or Deadwood. Here is my reply -

Dear Mr Smith
Thank you for contacting Sky Help Centre.
There are no plans at this time to show OZ or Deadwood on Sky Atlantic.
You can log on to www.sky.com/nevermiss and register your interest in these programmes. As soon as the programme is scheduled you will receive an email with the date and time it will be shown
I hope this helps with your enquiry.
Kind regards
Ann Marie
Sky Help Centre
http://www.sky.com

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Has anyone ever came across this being shown again? It's a series i missed and have been looking at the boxset on AMazon for a while(never drops to a 'bargain' price).
Did anyone who watched it find it to be a bit like The Wire ie a hidden gem? The Wire came from nowhere to this cult status, just wondering if this is similar?
Of course, if it's a piece of $4it then feel free to tell me and not waste my time!!
I haven't seen this appear on schedules any time in the last few years. I did however watch it on its original viewing when the show was literally virtually unheard of showing in the middle of the night on Channel 4. It's a very, very good TV series as you would expect from HBO. However the reason I expect it hasn't been on is because it is very violent and brutal. As great a drama as it is there are times when it is very hard not to turn away from screen. I found myself glued to the TV but often found it extremely uncomfortable viewing . The series is truly hardcore and makes the prisons from Prison Break look like Disney World!

Like Razor said you'll recognise lots of actors from "the wire" but also from many other shows. You will probably recognise most of the actors that starred in Oz appearing in everything after watching the series.

Better ask them about Carnivale aswell while your at it :D, damn what a good show that was :smashin:

Yes Carnivale is excellent, though I'm finding season 2 a bit of an effort & my R1 DVD has a very frustrating picture quality at times :(

Can anyone who has recently signed up to Netflix see if it is on there or will be it be a Sky-only show due to their arrangement with HBO ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom