Oz, the Great and Powerful

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Sam Raimi had been given an offer to direct "Oz, the Great and Powerful" for Disney, a prequel to the 1939 MGM classic The Wizard of Oz, last week. Reports say he has now accepted.

The film is being developed with Robert Downey Jr in mind to star as the Wizard, though he hasn't officially signed on yet. He's a busy boy.

Raimi will direct the film from a script by Mitchell Kapner, which takes the idea that the Wizard is also transported to Oz from Kansas, and details how he came to be the power seen in The Wizard of Oz. Kapner based the script off of a collection of influences from L. Frank Baum’s Oz books as well as some ideas of his own to produce a story that suggests “the wizard is a charlatan who’s part of a traveling circus but goes on a similar odyssey as Dorothy when he mysteriously lands in Oz.”

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
I like in this order:

1. Robert Downey Jr
2. Sam Raimi
3. Wizard of OZ

If this comes together and Disney leave everyone to get on with it. I'd be interested.

It's a dream.. you can't have a prequel to a dream???

Being the prequel this would be the first dream, and in 1939 version, Dorothy had a similar dream but different, based around the people closest to her.

Does that make sense?

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Being the prequel this would be the first dream, and in 1939 version, Dorothy had a similar dream but different, based around the people closest to her.
But she bumbed her head during the tornado, hence the dream. Is she going to be constantly bumping her head?

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
But she bumbed her head during the tornado, hence the dream. Is she going to be constantly bumping her head?

No it would only happen once, which she has in 1939. I was light heartedly replying to Pincho, my answer is not set in science or deep thought.

I don't i really care if the new version should be/not be made because it does not maybe lend itself to the 1939 version. i'll just watch it :) Lets wait for the press release in a year or two.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Sam Raimi has signed on to direct "Oz: The Great and Powerful," which is told from the point of view of the Wizard. It tells how the Wizard arrives in Oz and how he became the ruler. Robert Downey Jr has yet to be locked in.

D

Deleted member 92943

Hmmm. This is interesting

Firstly, i didn't like the Spiderman Films and after a look on IMDB, nothing which Sam Rami has done grabbed me.
From doing a little digging round, it seems Disney want to take Tim Burton has recently done with Alice in Wonderland and do the same with The Wizard of Oz.

I'm a Big Robert Downy fan and he would make a great Wizard, so we'll see how Disney go with this as i don't think their 1985 Sequel 'Return to Oz' set the world on fire

J1mbo

I rather they made something closer to the tone of the books. Return to Oz had much going for it in that sense.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Reports say Robert Downey Jr. has since dropped out of the project and Disney is now in discussions with Johnny Depp to take over the role of a young illusionist.

D

Deleted member 92943

Jesus, does Jonny Depp need to be used for every movie these days. Disney must really be getting him on the cheap :D

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Mila Kunis is lined up to play the Wicked Witch of the West, opposite James Franco...as Johnny Depp has passed on the role of the young illusionist. No official word from both camps to confirm.

D

Deleted member 92943

wow, interesting choice. I like Franco and be interested to see how he takes on this role

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Bruce Campbell has confirmed he has a pivotal role in Sam Raimi's Oz, the Great and Powerful.

James Franco plays as Oscar Diggs, a magician/con-man who finds himself in the Land of Oz. Convincing everyone that he's a great wizard, he has everyone entranced - everyone except for three witches played by Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams

figrin_dan

Sam Raimi has signed on to direct "Oz: The Great and Powerful," which is told from the point of view of the Wizard. It tells how the Wizard arrives in Oz and how he became the ruler. Robert Downey Jr has yet to be locked in.
Sounds like they couldn't get the rights to 'Wicked' so just ripped it off.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Lowres look at James Franco as Oscar Diggs aka Oz

Wiki;
The Wizard of Oz, known during his reign as The Great and Powerful Oz, is the epithet of Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs, a fictional character in the Land of Oz, created by American author L. Frank Baum.

ozgreatandpowerful.jpg

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
BTS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-if_-ob_c]OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL - ET Behind-the-Scenes Set Visit [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

liamt

Distinguished Member
Bruce Campbell has confirmed he has a pivotal role in Sam Raimi's Oz, the Great and Powerful.

James Franco plays as Oscar Diggs, a magician/con-man who finds himself in the Land of Oz. Convincing everyone that he's a great wizard, he has everyone entranced - everyone except for three witches played by Mila Kunis, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams

bruce campbell? count me in!

give me some sugar baby, hail to the king ;)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
And don't mention it feels like Tim Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland', once is enough :D

Looks great, can't wait

HD Teaser Trailer #1 (as shown at Comic-Con an hr ago)
480, 720, 1080

or

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution