Oxygen Free 189 Strand Speaker Cable

Amal99

Ex Member
Reaction score
I came across this speaker cable on eBay, and would like to know what you guys think of it?

10m Loud Speaker Cable Quality Oxygen Free 189 Strand on eBay, also Speaker Cables, Cables Connectors, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 09-Feb-09 00:41:29 GMT)

Will it do for my bedroom setup? The quality actually looks better than this Philips speaker cable im using downstairs: PHILIPS HQ OXYGEN FREE OFC SPEAKER CABLE 10m ONLY £2.99 on eBay, also Speaker Cables, Cables Connectors, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 07-Feb-09 22:31:10 GMT)

As in it has more strands.

Not to mention, its very very cheap.

What do you guys say? Im only upgrading from 15 strand bell wire.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You don't say what speakers or amp you are using but generally any 1.5 mm copper cable will do. With longer runs or higher power requirements then you might benefit from 2.5 mm. The key thing is to have low impedence which generally means thick copper. Buy the cheapest you can find, even mains flex.

Im using an ancient Akai AA-1150 amplifier and a pair of budget Acoustic Solutions floorstanders (its all my dads old gear he no longer uses).

The distance will be 4 metres from amp to each speaker. And its at 80watts @ 8ohms for each channel.

By thicker copper, do you mean each strand being thicker, or just having a thicker cable?

Which of the 2 cables posted would you recommend for this setup?

It wouldn't hurt to use the thicker 2.5mm cable (just make sure you speaker terminals are big enough)...it's just harder to bend / cable manage...as deckingman says (assuming the speakers are passive (i.e. do not amplify themselves)) any old cable with low impendance will do...buy some cheap mains cable.

Im using an ancient Akai AA-1150 amplifier and a pair of budget Acoustic Solutions floorstanders (its all my dads old gear he no longer uses).

The distance will be 4 metres from amp to each speaker. And its at 80watts @ 8ohms for each channel.

By thicker copper, do you mean each strand being thicker, or just having a thicker cable?

Which of the 2 cables posted would you recommend for this setup?

Thick cable - the number of strands is largely unimportant except that more strands tend to be more flexible and thus easier to bend etc. Go for the top one as it's a quid cheaper taking the postage cost into account.

It wouldn't hurt to use the thicker 2.5mm cable (just make sure you speaker terminals are big enough)...it's just harder to bend / cable manage...as deckingman says (assuming the speakers are passive (i.e. do not amplify themselves)) any old cable with low impendance will do...buy some cheap mains cable.

Yes the speakers are passive. The cables will also need to be bent twice at right angels. More importantly, some parts of the cable will be showing, so it must also look fairly good, so I dont really want to use the grey mains cable.

What kind of thicker cable would you recommend?

Thanks for your tips.

Thick cable - the number of strands is largely unimportant except that more strands tend to be more flexible and thus easier to bend etc. Go for the top one as it's a quid cheaper taking the postage cost into account.

Cheers, thats what I was planning on getting too.

Last edited:
Hi Amal 99,
I bought 2 x lengths of this cable via e-bay before Christmas for use on my surround set up...gotta say it sounds fine and cheap as they come.:hiya:Oh by the way..delivery is almost 24hrs..great service.

Last edited:
Hi Amal 99,
I bought 2 x lengths of this cable via e-bay before Christmas for use on my surround set up...gotta say it sounds fine and cheap as they come.:hiya:Oh by the way..delivery is almost 24hrs..great service.

Cheers man!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom