Owners thread for LG up970 4k Blu ray player includes Dolby Vision

I’ve not had any issues picture wise, freezing etc, in fact A Christmas Carol 3D (Jim Catrey) looked outstanding on my LG 65C oled last night, it’s just this DV update I’m annoyed at.
I've had freezes on two disks recently, both were Warner BD66 disks. I don't have any BD66 disks from any other studios so I don't know if it's just Warner disks that have the issue.

Watched Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 1 last night, the movie froze at 2hr3mins. Had to eject the disc and reload to move on :( thats pretty much every harry potter disc that's frozen (when changing layers im guessing)

Watched Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 1 last night, the movie froze at 2hr3mins. Had to eject the disc and reload to move on :( thats pretty much every harry potter disc that's frozen (when changing layers im guessing)
It does sound like it's getting stuck on a layer change but the odd thing is that if you pause the disk for a few seconds after the first hour it will play to the end without any problem.

There's something in the firmware that is causing the player to snag on the switch to layer 2 (I'm assuming that's the layer it has trouble with) if it has played layer 1 without a pause. Personally I would rather have this issue fixed asap before anything else.

Well CES is around the corner. If Sony or Panasonic announce DV player then I'm getting refund for LG.

Tried watching Dark Knight tonight. It temporarily froze right after Joker's upside down speech towards the end - I had to rewind and play to get it going again.

Unfortunately it completely froze and crapped out as Gordon was doing his speech in the office at the end.

Incredibly disappointing. Since Dolby Vision is clearly a bs carrot being dangled (I can't believe it's STILL being advertised as DV-capable on sites such as Amazon!), I'm initiating a return and refund tomorrow. God knows what player I'm going to get instead. Not sure I can justify Oppo prices to be honest.

I have washed my hands of it, Hughes refunded me with no fuss, and I purchased the Sony UBP-X800.
Early days but at least the wonder woman disk that was a vibration maker in the LG player is whisper quiet. Sure The Sony will never have DV, but at this point nor does the LG and the only player that does is over £600.

I may just go without until CES, see what's announced. If nothing special/affordable, I'll get the current Sony or Panasonic model.

Me too. I’m jumping ship. Had enough with this LG player. I’ve just tried watching Cars 3 UHD and for the first time the disc was louder than my surround sound. Not putting up with it now. Amazon have agreed to refund me in full. It’s packed up and ready to go back tomorrow.

Maybe with all the players being returned, they might take the hint.
How the same firm that makes the lovely Oled B7 TV set be responsible for this is beyond me.

How the same firm that makes the lovely Oled B7 TV set be responsible for this is beyond me.
I doubt the staff responsible for these players is the same as the one who handles LG Oled

Yeah it's crazy! I sorted my Amazon return today. Reason: Performance inadequate. When asked for more info I didn't pull any punches and even dropped false advertising comments in there as it's still being advertised as a DV player. Dropping it off at the post office tomorrow, although I've just bought Terminator 2 so I think I'll watch that before packing it up :rotfl:

Mine went back yesterday. Gone for an oppo 203 that was on Richer Sounds website for £499 (refurbished). With the £120 back on this LG rubbish, makes it £379. Then I’ll put up my Sony X800 on the classifieds here if I get no issues from the Oppo. So with about another £140 for that brings the Oppo to £239 which isn’t bad at all. I know there may be a few scuffs as it’s not brand new but they only had one and so couldn’t resist. Being delivered today. Can’t wait to watch some Dolby Vision films tonight!!!

Mine went back yesterday. Gone for an oppo 203 that was on Richer Sounds website for £499 (refurbished). With the £120 back on this LG rubbish, makes it £379. Then I’ll put up my Sony X800 on the classifieds here if I get no issues from the Oppo. So with about another £140 for that brings the Oppo to £239 which isn’t bad at all. I know there may be a few scuffs as it’s not brand new but they only had one and so couldn’t resist. Being delivered today. Can’t wait to watch some Dolby Vision films tonight!!!
Lol, don't get me wrong, I've used some pretty far fetched theories to justify paying a certain price for something in the past, but I like what you've done there.

fingers crossed for you mate, the oppo thread has lots of people having similar freezing issues, but seems noise isn't an issue.

I have just watched war for the planet of the apes and the player performed perfectly, very little noise, no freezing and the picture quality was superb, possibly one of the best PQ i have seen to date. if this is what HDR10 can look like then I cant wait to see what DV will look like when and if it comes.

fingers crossed for you mate, the oppo thread has lots of people having similar freezing issues, but seems noise isn't an issue.
It’s arrived and in perfect condition. Not a mark on it. Very impressed with Richer Sounds refurbished unit. Box was ticked as perfect to and I agree. It’s all setup and ready to watch tonight. Fingers crossed lol.

EDIT: Despicable Me in Dolby Vision looked amazing. I’ve read it’s not the best example either but I was impressed. Didn’t put a foot wrong during playback. See you all on th Oppo thread soon

Last edited:
Im very tempted to get this noisy box returned to JL and sell my 4K's and join the digital gang in the ATV club.

I have just watched war for the planet of the apes and the player performed perfectly, very little noise, no freezing and the picture quality was superb, possibly one of the best PQ i have seen to date. if this is what HDR10 can look like then I cant wait to see what DV will look like when and if it comes.
I share the same positive experience with this player

Over on other forum someone posted that a LG senior person in Europe said DV firmware will be out worldwide in march and reason for being pulled was it did not meet Dolby requirements for DV colours. Not sure how true this is. I won't be waiting however. If a DV player comes from Sony or Panasonic under 350 before LG update then I will refund and grab that.

Last edited:
You missed the point about Samsung / Panasonic connection.

Anyway Philips were supposed to release a DV player in the USA last year but it appears to have been delayed and no launch date as yet I believe and it may never make to to Europe which would be a shame as it would be more choice. Sony seem to be standing on the fence with no commitment apart from TV's, either way. Hopefully CES will reveal more soon.

I've had no luck from LG on when this update will be available, so they told me to contact the retailer. I have done this and they've offered me a full refund on this player bought in April 2017 for £349.

Mine when back yesterday for a full £300 refund also purchased in April 17.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom