Owners thread for LG up970 4k Blu ray player includes Dolby Vision

BMox81

Distinguished Member
So just to confirm, is it all discs that the player goes loud with or just certain ones in particular?

AV Happy

So just to confirm, is it all discs that the player goes loud with or just certain ones in particular?
My player doesnt have any issues with noise, dont get me wrong it's not silent but its no louder than any other regular blu ray player i have owned the big issue for me was the freezing, thats why i switched back to my sammy

BMox81

Distinguished Member
However having said that..... If you can get one for £80 then i'd say go for it. if your anything like me you wont be satisfied until you've tried it !!!!
Managed to get it for under £70 so even better. Arriving Thursday.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Fingers crossed you get a good late build :smashin: If you do I'm sure you will be happy with it :thumbsup:
I think for under £70 I could probably put up with the potential loudness of it haha, but as you said, need to try it out for myself to see.

AV Happy

At that price its worth opening up and replacing the offending washers if its noisy. I found self adhesive soft foam feet helped with some of the vibration noise on my first player.

simon194

At that price its worth opening up and replacing the offending washers if its noisy. I found self adhesive soft foam feet helped with some of the vibration noise on my first player.
On my sister's 970 it was the power supply board rattling in the support on the side casing that was making all the noise.

I replaced mine with a UBK90 which is quiet but the freezing on triple layer disks and LG not acknowledging there is a fault means it's got to go.

Rograt

Don't know if anyone can help I've searched about a bit but can't find any answers. I haven't used my player in a few months as I have been streaming movies but now when I go to switch it on the LG logo comes then a couple of seconds later the screen just goes black. The unit seems to be working fine and all functions seem to working can open player and put in 4k disc and it even then spins up, so everything is working just a black screen. I've tried everything so anyone come across this before or have any answers? Many thanks

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Don't know if anyone can help I've searched about a bit but can't find any answers. I haven't used my player in a few months as I have been streaming movies but now when I go to switch it on the LG logo comes then a couple of seconds later the screen just goes black. The unit seems to be working fine and all functions seem to working can open player and put in 4k disc and it even then spins up, so everything is working just a black screen. I've tried everything so anyone come across this before or have any answers? Many thanks
Yes.
I swapped to another hdmi cable and it seems to be behaving for now. I never expect it work every time I power it up though!
I guess it’s a handshake issue, but why changing an hdmi cable which works perfectly elsewhere makes a difference I have no idea.

Rograt

Yes.
I swapped to another hdmi cable and it seems to be behaving for now. I never expect it work every time I power it up though!
I guess it’s a handshake issue, but why changing an hdmi cable which works perfectly elsewhere makes a difference I have no idea.
I'll try that, thank you

BMox81

Distinguished Member
So I got the player yesterday and managed to get it open to update it and give it a spin this evening.

Tried TASM2, Homecoming and Infinity War.

I will say that you can definitely hear the drive going for the first few chapters and then goes quiet after that. That happened on all 3 discs I tried.

Certainly not getting any of the sounds that I’ve seen on YouTube.

Most important thing was that it passed the wife test while it was playing (she saw the videos as well) so looks like I got (so far anyway) a decent player for £68.

Now all I need to do is move so I can use it with my new 65” B7 which is still boxed away in the shed... :(

Mattklong

Novice Member
Picked up a march build 2017 970 bnib off fleabay,hooked it up tried a blu ray first very quiet then a uhd disc and the noise was shocking:eek: could even hear above my surround sound.
Tried some washers between the drive and chasis and was just as noisy:facepalm:
Then put 2 strips of 3mm thick acoustic foam 1 at the front and 1 at back where drive is closest to the base and screwed it down now it is virtually silent and have to put my ear close to it to hear it even when loading a uhd disc:smashin:.

Martin
Hi, sorry to ask. What sort of acoustic foam worked? I’m gonna give this a try as LG customer services are messing me around and instead want to give this a go. Just wondering where to pick it up or what options might be available/lying about the house.
Thanks,
Matt.

thetargetarcher

Has anyone encountered an issue where a disc is inserted and the player states there is no disc? Resulting in not able to watch the disc contents. Tried turning off for a while and back on again. Same problem. I've tried 4K discs and blu-ray discs. Everyrtime it says no disc. Prior to this happening the drive had become really noisy when playing 4K discs. Intiially it was fairly quiet. The player has been hardly used.

I'm just wondering if with the above; the drive is actually faulty? I am waiting for LG to get back to me. LG really messed me around regarding the noise issue each day for about a week. Refusing to repair it. I just can't face having more aggravation with LG over this new issue. I just hope they do agree to collect and repair the player. My LG UP970 just isn't fit for purpose at present.

GoingGoingGone

Distinguished Member
Has anyone encountered an issue where a disc is inserted and the player states there is no disc? Resulting in not able to watch the disc contents. Tried turning off for a while and back on again. Same problem. I've tried 4K discs and blu-ray discs. Everyrtime it says no disc. Prior to this happening the drive had become really noisy when playing 4K discs. Intiially it was fairly quiet. The player has been hardly used.

I'm just wondering if with the above; the drive is actually faulty? I am waiting for LG to get back to me. LG really messed me around regarding the noise issue each day for about a week. Refusing to repair it. I just can't face having more aggravation with LG over this new issue. I just hope they do agree to collect and repair the player. My LG UP970 just isn't fit for purpose at present.
Sounds like the player is faulty (laser problem or misaligned laser). Can you play DVDs or CDs on it?
If it's still under warranty they can't refuse to repair it although you should be going through your retailer.

thetargetarcher

Sounds like the player is faulty (laser problem or misaligned laser). Can you play DVDs or CDs on it?
If it's still under warranty they can't refuse to repair it although you should be going through your retailer.
Thanks for replying.

I haven't tried a DVD or CD since this issue with 4K discs and regular blu ray discs. The player hasn't been dropped or knocked. A bit frustrating when you want to sit down and watch a film and can't. Althought there are plenty of bigger issues in the world. I'll try out a DVD and CD when I can. A little concerned if the drive decides to fail completely with a disc in. Shouldn't happen though.

It is well under 12 months old. I purchased the player directly from Amazon. Probably Amazon will offer a refund. I'd rather have it fixed/replaced. I will wait and see how LG responds.

nonsoloinglese

I am trying to get round the issue where some studios put the Dolby Atmos soundtrack only on the UHD disc and not on the blu-ray. Given my projector is 1080p I want to downscale the UHD image to 1080p. Will the UP970 do that?

mattius1989

I am trying to get round the issue where some studios put the Dolby Atmos soundtrack only on the UHD disc and not on the blu-ray. Given my projector is 1080p I want to downscale the UHD image to 1080p. Will the UP970 do that?
I believe so but I think the Panasonic UB200/300 are available for cheap and are supposed to do a better job of downscaling and converting to SDR.

mattius1989

I finally had enough of the noise issue tonight when i fired up Fast 8.

Took apart the player (very easy), removed the drive screws, wedged a big square of bubble wrap under the drive area and then tightly screwed the drive back into place. It's ever so slightly louder than my Panny 4k now but I'd call it fixed.

kosch

hkrs

Standard Member
Ok so I’ve never really had an issue with this player, is been a bit noisy but tonight when I put spiderverse in the noise is on a completely other level. It’s way beyond acceptable, the vibration noise coming from the unit is insane.
Tried another film and it’s back to its normal “noisy” status.

I’ve had to turn the film off, it really is that bad.

Last edited:

bushell44

Hi just got this without reading any reviews, do you still have problems with the Jan 2018 model, if so I have a couple of weeks to return it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom