Owners thread for LG up970 4k Blu ray player includes Dolby Vision

Thinking of getting an Apple TV 4K to tide me over until a DV player comes out this year.

My TV's app supports DV on Netflix as does the Chromecast Ultra, it maybe a cheaper alternative unless you specifically want Apple.

Last edited:
Yeah my TV supports DV in Netflix, I'm tempted by the cheap price of 4K films in iTunes for films I'm not fussed about buying on disc.

DV streaming is garbage. Save your money or buy standard blurays at that point

DV streaming is garbage. Save your money or buy standard blurays at that point

No its not. It might be on the Chromecast, it's fine on the ATV.

No its not. It might be on the Chromecast, it's fine on the ATV.
Did you actually compare to Dolby Vision on disc using something like Oppo 203? ScottyLee (a member here on AVForum) also used to think that streaming quality on Apple TV was great, until he bought an Oppo 203 and a few titles in Dolby Vision. Now he changed his mind completely.

Did you actually compare to Dolby Vision on disc using something like Oppo 203? ScottyLee (a member here on AVForum) also used to think that streaming quality on Apple TV was great, until he bought an Oppo 203 and a few titles in Dolby Vision. Now he changed his mind completely.

Changing the goalposts again eh. :rolleyes:

You said streaming was garbage. It's not. Of course a disc version will be better, but there isn't much in it.

Changing the goalposts again eh. :rolleyes:

You said streaming was garbage. It's not. Of course a disc version will be better, but there isn't much in it.
To me, DV streaming is garbage after seeing what DV on disc is capable of offering. If you watch DV on disc and then quickly swicth to DV streaming while your eyes are still adjusted to the PQ of DV disc you will notice a huge difference. Of course if you are just exposed to streaming DV and that's all you know, by itself, it may look fine

To me, DV streaming is garbage after seeing what DV on disc is capable of offering. If you watch DV on disc and then quickly swicth to DV streaming while your eyes are still adjusted to the PQ of DV disc you will notice a huge difference. Of course if you are just exposed to streaming DV and that's all you know, by itself, it may look fine

I have compared plenty. Not just DV, HDR and SDR.

If you don't like it fine.

My friend just gave me this player since he got it with his C7 and never used it. Have the same crazy buzzing sound on Cars 3 UHD. Decided to open it up and it appears to be a fitment issue with the plastic parts on the Sony drive that is causing the vibration when the drive plays at UHD speed. When I squeeze the sides really hard towards the back of the drive, most of the buzzing noise goes away. Probably wouldn't be able to hear it inside the case. Not sure exactly which parts are causing the vibrations though.

So looks like Sony are also having firmware issues for Dolby Vision. The A1 tvs from 2017 still not updated and the new blu ray player currently has a Summer 2018 date for DV firmware. Panasonic is still not confirmed if they will support out of box or after update. So looks like only oppo have a guaranteed DV capable player for time being.

I was really hoping Yamaha would be at CES with replacements for the BD-S681 and BD-A1060 with 4K and DV - seems they are not even at CES at all.

I really might end up having to buy this LG player as a stop gap if I can find one massively discounted and not sounding like a circular saw - ugh!

The new question is whether the UP970 will get HDR10+ support as well or will the certification process only apply to new devices. See the CES 2018 announcement posted in a separate thread.

Last edited:
The new question is whether the UP970 will get HDR10+ support as well or will the certification process only apply to new devices. See the CES 2018 announcement posted in a separate thread.

Link? can't find anything.

Not a hope in hell I think - LGs answer re their TVs is a firm no for both updates to 2017 models and 2018 models supporting it.

TBH - unless their TVs also support it, then I think they are better off not supporting it as it would dilute their end to end story and give some credence to the HDR10+ anarchists. Never give in to terrorists ;)

TBH - I hope it just dies a quiet death and that Samsung and Panasonic loose hundreds of billions in the process to teach them not to try this BS ever again - we really don't need a format war to screw up the UHD market for the next decade or so - we as consumers always end up being the ones who lose out due to product/media incompatibilities that result in a degraded experience.

Was hoping for some confirmation during ces, I guess none so far. The longer this goes on the less likely dolby vision is to gain traction in the home market, presumably leading the companies not bothering to add them to their discs. That said I've not been following much of the ces news for fear of my tv being superseded :(

I have had some issues with mine:

Noisy Drive
Lose of Picture and audio dropouts.

So have emailed JL about getting it sorted or a replacement.

I'm going to send mine back and get the Sony X700. No DV update after a year, regular issues turning it on (have to unplug then plug back in) and its actually too wide for my cupboard too [emoji4]. Plus there is always the worry that my drive will start getting loud (used about a dozen times with no issue so far, May build).

I can wait until August for Sony to deliver DV, I've waiting this long.

After speaking with John Lewis, Ill need to contact LG who will take it over, hopefully they just replace it.

After speaking with John Lewis, Ill need to contact LG who will take it over, hopefully they just replace it.
LG arranged a repair on mine, I got it back 3 days after it was collected and its now whisper quiet and to date I haven't had any playback issues.

LG arranged a repair on mine, I got it back 3 days after it was collected and its now whisper quiet and to date I haven't had any playback issues.

That's good to know, thank you.

I will get in contact with them early next week and get it sent off.

Someone over on other forum got reply from LG New Zealand who said firmware out end of this month. Take that with a grain of salt.
I do think the recent Dolby comment saying they found out problem with black level on DV discs and issued fix for TVs might been reason why no one as DV on launch on players and now Dolby said its not a bluray player fix that Sony and LG and Panasonic can release firmware sooner.

Do you have a source on these dolby comments? Would be interested to read up.

Nm found the Forbes article, I can see this having some bearing on the delays we've been having tbh, ignoring the apple connection-it does talk about external sources connected, I.e the bluray player mayhaps?

Last edited:
Do you have a source on these dolby comments? Would be interested to read up.

Nm found the Forbes article, I can see this having some bearing on the delays we've been having tbh, ignoring the apple connection-it does talk about external sources connected, I.e the bluray player mayhaps?

Yes, wouldn't be at all surprised if this is connected. Would also explain why those lucky few who still have the first update haven't noticed a problem as it is only said to occur in certain scenes - maybe in no scenes at all in the limited number of disks produced so far. Shame the fix has to be applied to the displays as well and not at source though but so now we have two updates to wait for ....

Key bit from the Forbes article:

The brand which has ultimately held its hands up to the problem is… Dolby. During a meeting with them at the CES today, they admitted that the problem was of their making, and had to do with the way Dolby Vision was implemented over HDMI from external devices

Below is my latest response from LG :(

Thanks for contacting us regarding the Dolby Vision update for the UP970 Blu-ray Player.

At this moment in time we do not have a release date for the Dolby Vision content. The reason we are unable to offer one at this moment in time is that following a trial release in the US last August we encountered several issues with the update and so Head Office decided to stop the release until we had ironed out the issues we encountered.

As a company LG always perform rigorous testing of any products or software before it is released to the general public, however, its nigh on impossible to replicate all the different set-ups that our customers may have, so we can’t always see where issues may occur.

The update is currently going through an overhaul and testing so that we can ensure that we are releasing an update that will do exactly what our customers are expecting. As soon as it is to a standard that we are happy to release Head Office will then announce when it will be available for general release.

I understand that this isn’t the news you are wanting, at this moment in time I can’t offer you anything beyond an explanation as to why this delay has occurred. I apologise sincerely for any inconvenience that this may cause, thank you for bearing with us through all of this. We are trying to get this resolved as soon as possible so that our customers can enjoy the Dolby Vision content.

If you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on 0344 847 5454 or alternatively you can also reply to this email by clicking on the wish to reply to this email button just below.

Kind regards

LG Electronics UK Help desk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom