Owners thread for LG up970 4k Blu ray player includes Dolby Vision

ptruman

Mine shows 24/60 with DV firmware installed.
Is there any time when 60Hz should be selected? I keep mine at 24Hz all the time
Watch a normal DVD at forced 24 and it really screws up the picture, like it's interpolated. I can't watch DVDs unless it's set off 24.

ptruman

Does anyone with the multi-region mod want a copy of Dredd (normal BluRay) region A?
I just bought the 4K disc (region free) but it has region A BD with it :)
(I have the region 2 3D copy which I'm keeping)

Bluray70

Novice Member
I think its time to start lobying LG to get a auto feature with regards to the refresh rate option, so You Tube content at 60fps can be viewed. With regards to the Dolby Vision update got an email back yesterday saying it will be rolled out last quarter 2017 mmm taking that with a pinch of salt:(
I know there is only one 4k uhd disc at 60fps how does the player handle the motion?

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Watch a normal DVD at forced 24 and it really screws up the picture, like it's interpolated. I can't watch DVDs unless it's set off 24.
So, 24Hz for blurays and 60Hz for DVDs?

Roku2

Distinguished Member
I think its time to start lobying LG to get a auto feature with regards to the refresh rate option, so You Tube content at 60fps can be viewed. With regards to the Dolby Vision update got an email back yesterday saying it will be rolled out last quarter 2017 mmm taking that with a pinch of salt:(
I know there is only one 4k uhd disc at 60fps how does the player handle the motion?
I tested Billy Lynn UHD in 60fps and played beautifully. I set player at 60Hz beforehand (not sure if 24Hz or 60Hz would really make a difference)

Roku2

Distinguished Member
I've just left it at 60, and everything is fine (BluRay, UHD and DVD).
But surely 24Hz would be more appropiate for 24p content in order to get perfect 5:5 cadence. Most movies are all in 24p, aren't they? 60HZ on 24p content will result in 3:2 pulldown which can create more judder than 24Hz.

ptruman

I've not noticed any judder (watched Dredd last night). I'll see if my LG TV confirms the screen rate when I'm back at home (but not sure it does on 4K content...)

ptruman

From page 11 in the manual...

"The 1080p or 2160p video output frame rate may be automatically set to either 24 Hz or 60 Hz depending both on the capability and preference of the connected TV and based on the native video frame rate of the content on the BD-ROM disc."

Roku2

Distinguished Member
From page 11 in the manual...

"The 1080p or 2160p video output frame rate may be automatically set to either 24 Hz or 60 Hz depending both on the capability and preference of the connected TV and based on the native video frame rate of the content on the BD-ROM disc."
So what does that mean? That whether we select 24Hz or 60Hz on the player, it won't make any difference, bu tthat it all depend on the TV?

ptruman

In theory, both devices should handshake over HDMI and set the framerate to the source of the video accordingly. So, if your TV *and* player are both capable of doing the relevant frame rate of the source video, they should figure it out.

If they DON'T, you can choose. On one of my kids DVDs sticking it in 24p causes really bad interpolation, but leaving it at 60 means it works fine, and I've had no issues with BDs or UHDs with "jerking". Both my TV & player are LG :)

Roku2

Distinguished Member
In theory, both devices should handshake over HDMI and set the framerate to the source of the video accordingly. So, if your TV *and* player are both capable of doing the relevant frame rate of the source video, they should figure it out.

If they DON'T, you can choose. On one of my kids DVDs sticking it in 24p causes really bad interpolation, but leaving it at 60 means it works fine, and I've had no issues with BDs or UHDs with "jerking". Both my TV & player are LG :)
I'll give it a try at 60Hz for all sources. I too have LG TV + player

nekromantik

So I sent mine back to LG to fix the vibration and they just told me they are writing it off!
They will offer either refund or replacement but no guarantee the replacement will have no vibrations noises so means sending that one back and going through this all again!

hardcorrwin

Novice Member
I sent my April build in and went through two rounds of RMA and about 8 weeks time before I got a replacement August build. Knowing what they just told you, I would take the refund and try to find an August build at retail like Best Buy or Fry's or Beach Camera or B&H, if you are near any.

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Just out of curiosity, but how close to player do you all sit?

nekromantik

I sent my April build in and went through two rounds of RMA and about 8 weeks time before I got a replacement August build. Knowing what they just told you, I would take the refund and try to find an August build at retail like Best Buy or Fry's or Beach Camera or B&H, if you are near any.
Im in the UK and I dont live near a retail store :(

nekromantik

OMG LG are taking the p*** now!
They had my player 2 weeks now and still not contacted me to ask if I want refund or replacement.
I had to call them and now get told they dont have my proof of purchase even though I sent it with the player! So re sent it today.
I really wish the Panny players were DV so I can stop dealing with this.

Roku2

Distinguished Member
My latest pick in Dolby Vision. This is now officially my favorite format! Lost count of how many times I went WOW watching this in Dolby Vision on Oled 4K panel!
20171017_112343.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton