Owners thread for LG up970 4k Blu ray player includes Dolby Vision

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Slightly off topic for the player, but I didn't realise every device "in the chain" had to be DV compatible....my 49UH850V is, and obviously the UP970 is, but my Onkyo AV receiver....?

Well, hurrah, as it turns out Onkyo are including my receiver (NR656) in the DV update, coming later this year :)

Onkyo | Light and colours as intense and vibrant as in nature: Dolby Vision – the new video standard on home cinema receivers from Pioneer and Onkyo
You can do what I do in the meantime and use HDMI double connection

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Just now tested my third Dolby Vision title: Resident Evil Vendetta.
Blacks are as inky as they get on my oled tv, player runs quiet.
20171001_122054.jpg

Bluray70

Novice Member
High all just purchased this player again, but was wondering what the output should read if you have it connected to a av receiver. Due to the limited display options RGB OR YCC on the setup was curious if anybody managed to get info stating it was a 4.4.4 signal. Have a denon avr-x3300w and on the info it states the input signal is BT 2020 YCC at 12 bit colour.

Roku2

Distinguished Member
High all just purchased this player again, but was wondering what the output should read if you have it connected to a av receiver. Due to the limited display options RGB OR YCC on the setup was curious if anybody managed to get info stating it was a 4.4.4 signal. Have a denon avr-x3300w and on the info it states the input signal is BT 2020 YCC at 12 bit colour.
BT2020 at 12 bit colour indicates a 4K UHD source being played

Bluray70

Novice Member
Runing f/w version 70542C, thought the refresh rate was fixed to show 24/60 mine still shows only 24/50:facepalm: W.T.F is going on. Only bought this again as it was super cheap and it has a build date of June.

Fred Smith

Think you will find only the US version shows 24/60. That is the last fimware prior to the DV firmware, LG's notes were "security fixes".

Roku2

Distinguished Member
Think you will find only the US version shows 24/60. That is the last fimware prior to the DV firmware, LG's notes were "security fixes".
Mine shows 24/60 with DV firmware installed.
Is there any time when 60Hz should be selected? I keep mine at 24Hz all the time

Fred Smith

Mine shows 24/60 with DV firmware installed.
Is there any time when 60Hz should be selected? I keep mine at 24Hz all the time
Yes but you are based in the US, European versions don't get the 60Hz option with the DV or other firmware currently.

Bluray70

Novice Member
I prefer keeping my player at 24Hz either way
The 60hz option is for watching HDR content at 60f/p/s, when viewing content on you tube at any other framrate, motion produced is very choppy. Here in Europe because we dont have the 60hz option only 50hz, motion seen with long panning shots is terrible.

Last edited:

Roku2

Distinguished Member
The 60hz option is for watching HDR content at 60f/p/s, when viewing content on you tube at any other framrate, motion produced is very choppy. Here in Europe because we dont have the 60hz option only 50hz, motion seen with long panning shots is terrible.
I thought the 24Hz/60Hz option only affects discs, not streaming content

Bluray70

Novice Member
I thought the 24Hz/60Hz option only affects discs, not streaming content
It affects both disc and streaming content, this is one of the many flaws the player has. Unlike say the Panasonic which has a separate option for 60hz

nekromantik

Wonder Woman arrived so hope LG send fixed player back next week! This dv update saga has been bad for LG. If I had not paid 280 for mine then would've been more upset. Hopefully they don't cancel dv for player at all as it seems they can't seem to get it right.

Roku2

Distinguished Member
It affects both disc and streaming content, this is one of the many flaws the player has. Unlike say the Panasonic which has a separate option for 60hz
This player also has a separate option for choosing either 24Hz or 60Hz

Fred Smith

This player also has a separate option for choosing either 24Hz or 60Hz
As you have already been informed not in Europe, we have 24Hz or 50Hz.

Fred Smith

Exactly, so your player should give you an option to select either 24 or 50
As already explained it does, but no 60Hz option!

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 18th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton