1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owners of TY-42TM6Y board for Panny 6 please help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Apnomis, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Right I've just litterally been minutes away from buying my new plasma when I noticed the "free component board" that comes with the screen was a TY-42TM6Y not a TY-42TM6A. So just to make sure I looked it up and it said the Y is a double wide board that has S-Video and Composite connections too as well as component and it twice as expensive. Great I thought, until I came across a page that detailed the various boards with pictures.

To my horror I find that whereas the TY-42TM6A has 3 BNC connections and 2 audio, and will allow to plug my 3 RCA (YUV?) connection of my DVD straight into it. The TY-42TM6Y component section has 5 BNC's and it says it is RGB/Component!!! So presumably this is yet another connection that calls itself component, I'm guessing this is some other kind of component and not the YUV 3 RCA component I've got on my DVD player. I take it this is no good for my needs? :( :suicide:

2. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I'm sure someone will clear this up for you soon, but I know that on my hitachi one of the inputs has three phono sockets that can accept RGB or component signals - if this board does the same then you will have no problems

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yeah but this board doesn't have 3 it has 5!!!! 5 BNC's for picture and 2 RCA's for audio. Whereas the other board that is just "component" on it's own has 3 BNC's for picture and 2 RCA's for audio, which I would expect because I have a 3 channel output on my DVD.

What uses the 5 channel output? Can my DVD player use that? Is that better that the 3 channel YUV output I was planning to use!

Someone should really rename all these connection to make them more obvious, it's all very confusing! :rolleyes:

Edit: Is it just a case of you don't use two of the BNC's if you've got it configured to YUV component and not RGB? I really want to get this ordered tonight so I would like to get this last hurdle cleared!

4. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I think the other 2 may be the s-video and composite connections. btw are you sure they are all bnc type connectors and not phono - you'll need the right type of cable

5. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure with that board but 5 BNCs are traditionally Red, Green, Blue, H-Sync, V-Sync.

6. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    So can I not use that with YUV component then? Which is what I thought "component" generally meant, it's a little misleading to say you're getting a "component" board when really it's a RGB H & V Sync board!

I know it'll be a BNC connection eitherway, I've not got a problem with that.

This is where I found the picture:
    http://www.av4business.co.uk/panasonic/pdf/Plasma 6.pdf

Bottome of the second page on the right you see it lists a "BNC Component Video Terminal Board TY-42TM6A" (which is what I expect a Component connection to look like) and the "Component/Composite Video Terminal Board TY-42TM6Y" (which is not what I was expecting but what I was getting free, now I don't think I'll be able to use this with my system and so not get it from where I was going to get it!)

7. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    seriously wait until one of the panasonic experts comes on and replies to this before changing your mind - I am sure the board will accept your YUV signal

8. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This makes things a little clearer:

http://www.kingmaker.co.uk/panasonic d6boards.pdf

According to this the component connections on this board I get free are "H, V, Pr, Pb, Y" and on the normal 3 BNC component board its "Pr, Pb, Y"

So presumably all it means is this board I'm getting gives me the option of having additional Horizontal and Vertical Sync channels connection, but presumably I don't have to have them connected and use the PrPbY on it's own?

If that is the case and I can use this board the same way as the cheaper standard board then presumably I'm getting an even better deal then I thought because I'm getting a load of extra connections I may want to use in the future for free!!! (I hope that is the case, it's about time I get some good news in my hunt for a plasma!)

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Mate,

With the board you have been supplied you can connect devices using either YUV or RGBHV signals along with either a composite or svideo input.

So you can either use a component lead with RCA connectors on the DVD end and BNC on the plasma end or use a standard RCA cable along with three RCA to BNC adapters from Maplins.

So if they have not charged you extra for the dual board then that's great.

Alternatively you could swap your dual board for my standard RCA board, plus some cash :devil:, as I was after the dual board for connecting up my scaler using RGBHV :D

Cheers, Lee

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So ... the dual board is double width and takes up two of the three available slots?

That sounds OK to me - unless you're planning on wanting to plug in two scart devices - you've only room for one (more) scart board.

Apnomis - remember and reply to my PM :)

ZedZed

11. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well the deed is done! The order is placed!

I've not forgot you ZedZed! I'll let you know once it arrives and I check everything in one piece!

I'm getting 1 scart connector, so that's all my spaces used!

Well thanks for all your help guys, I could have a Plasma by the weekend :eek: £2k on a tele I must be mad, though I'm sure I'll change my mind once it's on the wall! :p

I'll post up some pictures of my old/new setup once it's set up!

12. riku

riku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought one of these Y boards. I haven't fitted it yet but the instructions show the connections for RGB and component. You configure it using the on screen menu. If you choose component then you connect to 3x BNC connections. If you choose RGB then you use all five (RGB plus the two sync connections).

Richard