1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owners of the Sony S and V Series 40" LCDs - whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Unlight, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys,

Well I think I've got my choice narrowed down to either of the bravia range - the 40" S series, or the 40" V series.

Does the "Wega" engine really make that much of a difference? Especially with it being £400 dearer, and also the more expensive unit not having a VGA input??

Any info much appreciated as I am absolutely confused right now!

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Not wanting to put a spanner in your plans but have you seen the new Samsung 61 series 40" ? I was not that impressed with either of the two Sony models and am now waiting to see the new Sammy in action.

With the Sony based on the older Samsung panels the new Sammy has to be worth a look...it is in the same price bracket as the V series though.

Cheers, Lee

3. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    And I`m sure the new samsung panels are based of the older panels aswell. Even though sony Is in partnership with samsung on there panels, the sony panels are quite different when It comes to contrast and colour reproduction. Go and test one for your self unlight and make up your own mind. If you do go demo one the settings you want to be looking at are around

contrast 90
    brightness 54-56
    and make sure you disable noise reduction as this has very bad consenquences on the image with trailing and smearing.

As for the wega engine It doesn`t really make any noticable difference by what the others say over on the sony thread with It perhaps making SD feeds look slightly better. And having seen the V series with freeview I can`t say I noticed any difference.

4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi mate,

I am kind of put off Samsung for all the problems they have given me I'm afraid. The only reason for me to get a new Samsung would be if the price was significantly less than the Sony, and it seems to be around the same, so I dont really want to take the chance!!

5. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Agreed, I was getting onto samsung for over a month to give me an answer on where I stand with the screen tearing and all I kept getting in reply was excuses and saying they would phone back when they never did. So I sent my panel back and said to myself I`m not gonna buy another samsung product for along time.

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ah...just looked at your sig and seen you have a Sammy :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more with seeing for your own eyes...only giving my opinion on the Sony which I've seen a few times now and not just badly setup in Curry's/Comet either.

I owned a Sony 32MRX1 LCD last year and was very unimpressed with it and sold it on...I had high hopes for the new Sony's but saw all the same old problems again...perhaps I just don't like LCDs :rolleyes:

Then again I have had two plasma screens (panny series 6 50" and a Pio 50MXE1) and two external scalers (LumagenPro HDP and a Crystalio) and now own none of it...I'm just very hard to please I guess.

Cheers, Lee