Owners Of Pioneer Kuro's Question

gtiboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Can you watch a wide screen movie without seeing the black borders or bars top and bottom of the screen?

Are the different aspect ratios to choose from like 16:9 expanded or something similar?

Can someone list all of these aspect ratio settings for this plasma?

Can you watch a wide screen movie without seeing the black borders or bars top and bottom of the screen?

Are the different aspect ratios to choose from like 16:9 expanded or something similar?

Can someone list all of these aspect ratio settings for this plasma?

No, to the first point, the idea on these sets is to watch as intended.

Hdmi, you have 16:9, zoom, or 4:3, but hdmi is a 16:9 standard.

All other inputs you have 16:9, 14:9 zoom, 14:9 cinema, wide, and 4:3.

you prob shouldn't waste your money on a high end plasma if you watch movies in this way.

I appreciate that the question is specific to the Pioneer 8G series,but as a general point of principle,I thought it was recommended to eliminate the black bars,by zooming,during the running in period.
This is certainly Panasonic's recommendation.

I know this is possible on a Philips LCD screens to eliminate the borders by selecting 16:9 expanded, but for a plasma that costs £1800 I would have thought you could do this aswell, even for any plasma for that matter hence why plasma screens are made in 16:9 shape screen.

yes the zoom mode will eliminate the black bars top to bottom. it will not zoom left to right on a 16:9 image.

Thats because it looks crap, this set is about producing a quality cinematic image as the director intended, not a cropped and zoomed picture which looks crap.

So it will zoom in the picture, and scale the picture without cutting any of the image off? and elminating the borders at the same time?

So it will zoom in the picture, and scale the picture without cutting any of the image off? and elminating the borders at the same time?

That would just be stretching it. Everyone would look very tall and thin.
You will lose the left and right ends of the picture if you use the zoom feature.

Given the absence of a response,am I to assume that it is ok during the running in period to display a picture with black bars on a Pioneer in particular,and Plasmas in general?
I look forward to advice.
Thanks.

Given the absence of a response,am I to assume that it is ok during the running in period to display a picture with black bars on a Pioneer in particular,and Plasmas in general?
I look forward to advice.
Thanks.

No,don't use black bars,it does not burn in,but,the part offf the screen that is black,can result in brightness difference ,when you are using bars.

View only DVD's,Blu ray,ect with full screen during run in period

And even after run in,don't run it to long with bars.Ans when you view movies with bars,let the plasma run after the movie at full screen mode,so you don't get brightness difference

I know this is possible on a Philips LCD screens to eliminate the borders by selecting 16:9 expanded, but for a plasma that costs £1800 I would have thought you could do this aswell, even for any plasma for that matter hence why plasma screens are made in 16:9 shape screen.

When watching movies on 8G you can use CINEMA mode too, it will leave a black bar about an inch thick on top and bottom. Picture looks more realistic then on ZOOM mode.

ALTHOUGH... to be fair, when you first get the screen it is a good idea to zoom in on films that have the banding on to avoid burn in issues.

Its even stated in the Pioneer manual.

Thanks for confirming my understanding re viewing an image with black bars during the running in period.
This may be what gtiboy had in mind when starting this thread.

To be honest I didn't think about the burn in issue by displaying black bars top and bottom. Didn't know that would affect it.

What I am concerned about is the fact a mate has bought a 37 inch Philips LCD screen that by changing the aspect ratio 16:9 expanded could display a wide screen movie in full screen without the borders without stretching the screen and scales it perfectly. This screen cost £650. Now for £1800 for a Pioneer plasma screen id expect that you could do this aswell but it seems it can't, only in cinema mode will it produce a picture with only 1 inch borders I suppose it not to bad but still.

To be honest I didn't think about the burn in issue by displaying black bars top and bottom. Didn't know that would affect it.

What I am concerned about is the fact a mate has bought a 37 inch Philips LCD screen that by changing the aspect ratio 16:9 expanded could display a wide screen movie in full screen without the borders without stretching the screen and scales it perfectly. This screen cost £650. Now for £1800 for a Pioneer plasma screen id expect that you could do this aswell but it seems it can't, only in cinema mode will it produce a picture with only 1 inch borders I suppose it not to bad but still.
Hold up, you're going to have to explain this one to me like I'm stupid.

You've got a picture which is 2.35:1

on a screen which is 1.78:1

and it can show it fullscreen without either stretching it, or losing any part of the image?

Philips must have some amazing engineers. Maybe they should move into the sublimation of diamonds out of thin air.

Hold up, you're going to have to explain this one to me like I'm stupid.

You've got a picture which is 2.35:1

on a screen which is 1.78:1

and it can show it fullscreen without either stretching it, or losing any part of the image?
You are of course correct.
However,the zoom option(s) available on the Pioneer do appear to be limited compared to those offered by Panasonic on the PX700.
There is AUTO-which expands the picture to best fill the screen.There is no cut off in the display of subtitles,and,as far as I can see,no distortion.How this is accomplished in terms of the expansion of height,and width,I cannot explain.
Additionally,there are three manually selectable Zoom options,depending on the aspect of the incoming signal,which expand the image to fill the screen without distortion.
Perhaps Panasonic's wizards are more "Harry Potter" than Philips's!

If you rally wanted to fill the screen you could set your DVD player to 4:3 letterbox and then set the TV to ZOOM mode. This will fill the screen with a geometrically correct picture missing a bit of the right and left edges.
You would be losing a whole lot of resolution as well though but if you want to fill the screen this would do it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom