1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner of Samsung SP50L7HX and Tosh DLP

Discussion in 'TVs' started by -TYN-, Dec 16, 2004.

1. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all,
    I have been reading these posts and have been forced to give my unbiased comparison between these two sets which i have owned each for two weeks before returning them.

Rainbows: Sry guys but rainbows were very noticable to me on both sets but slightly worse on the samsung, This was very annoying even when you think you might be able to try and live with it.

Dot dithering: Now this does not exist on the samsung set but is very bad on the toshiba. This is dot movement on dark patches which when the screen pans is very noticable as it goes to a rainbow type blur, this is a seperate effect from the rainbow effect. Good example is in Halo on the walls in dark corridors just walk or move around and believe me it sticks out like a saw thumb.

Picture quality: On pc and digital connections the samsung wins easily due to the toshibas dot dithering on games (not desktop as this is stationary). But on all other connections the Toshiba wins outright because the samsung's rgb and component connections are appalling and present a weak composite like appearance which is very soft and washed out even in progressive. Samsung does benifit from the faroudja processing which produces better panning etc.

Sound: Here i thought the toshiba was very good due to nice subwoofer whereas the samsung sounds very ordinary.

Appearance: Both tvs look great although i think the samsung looks abit too futuristic and does not fit in with surroundings. The toshiba looks alot better than in the photos even though the stand is abit cheap but hey its free and looks great when all put together and is perfect in appearance for any room.

Viewing angles: The toshiba has a very slight advantage on side viewing but a larger advantage on above and below.

Opperation: Both have a good menu system. The toshiba has a quick input selection box which opens when you hold the av change button down where as the samsung you had to go into the menu, unless i missed something.

Other notables: The samsungs screen seemed to have a problem with getting dark patches which when pushed lightly with something soft would dissappear with a cracking sound but when the tv is switched off they come back the next morning.

Things that i think have proved true:

Six segment colour wheels have less rainbow but introduce dot dithering and the othe way round for seven segment, which i preffered as dot dithering was so annoying.

Faroudja processing does make a big improvement on picture quality.

Dlp technology is amazing, so sharp and vibrant.

Finally: I am amazed at the pq of DLP, so even though i am desperate to own another tv i would still rather wait for improvements in the colour wheel rather than going for a different display technology.TI SCR 126 segment colour wheel coming soon which uses a spiral/Archimedes approache to totally eliminate rainbows for ever :).

I hope ive helped some people out and not offended others, i have just tried to give an unbiased oppinion of my experiance. So tosh and sammie owners dont flame me before looking for the faults described first.

Thx Tyn.

2. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks TYn it's always good to hear other peoples opinions.

3. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    -TYN-

Where did you order the Tosh from? And did you have any problems returning it.

I fancy a two week try-out aswell

4. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I got it from Costco, and had no problems at all returning it. I just simply explained about the rainbow effect and that was that.

Hope this helps. ;)

5. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest where did you get the SAMSUNG from ?

6. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    unbeatable, could not fault them. Provided excellent support to all probs and even gave refund due to a manufature problem on first batch.

Bloody cheap also ! :)

7. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nice one TYN, i think the only time i have seen rainbows on my set is with a poor RF feed (which will never be used) or when my eyes flash from one object to the tv and back.

Nobody in my household has spotted one - yet !

Missus will not let me have an xbox or ps2, be thankful you have them at all :rotfl:

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl:

Is it possible to lift the Samsung yourself by taking both arms under the screen and lift it? or is it too heavy?

9. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Would be tricky as the glass base makes the weight uneven (bottom and front heavy) when picked up and would get in the way of your legs. Plus i dont think you would want to risk pushing in the screen :) .

Overall it is heavier than a normal dlp set due to the inbuilt stand which has a very thick glass base.

Hope this helps :lesson:

10. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about standing behind the TV then and lift it? the stand shouldn't be in the way if you lift it behind and the screen won't take any damage.....

Could replace the feets under the stand with some mini-wheels.

11. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    It would be hard m8 as the tv would try to tip forward as the weight of the glass is at the front, so top would fall forward and bottom would fall towards if lifting from behind. Also would not know how you could fit wheels without drilling the glass. :)

12. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could glue the wheels under the glas, plastic pudding maybe?

Just kidding... :D

13. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    LOL, You've been watching to much Blue Peter. :laugh: