Owner of new 706 and cannot select listening mode "Dolby Digital"?

WAdeThomas

Standard Member
Reaction score
When watching a DVD that is 5.1 (Dolby Digital) or watching anything on satetlite (trying all movie channels) I do not have the option to select "Dolby Digital" as a listening mode and I cannot figure out why. I can select any of the other listening modes though. Neo:6 Cinema sounds good to me, but I am new to this surround stuff and I really do not know.

I have my satellite and DVD player feeding the receiver via HDMI and then have the receiver feeding the TV with HDMI. I am also running my front speakers from the preout so I can drive those with my amp.

I really appreciate any help. Thanks

First of all, check in the Audio setting of your DVD Player; it should be set to 'Bitstream' and not 'PCM'. Setting to Bitstream should solve the problem.

I own an Onkyo 706 too and DD sound works just fine. For a DVD movie with default DD 5.1 audio, the Onkyo selects it automatically; if the disc comes with a choice of audios, you have to choose the one you want with the disc menu. Some of the older discs default to Dolby 2.0 Surround even when there is a DD 5.1 option also; in that case, you have to manually choose the latter.

Also, which satellite receiver do you have? Neither Sky HD, nor Virgin V+ carry multi channel audio over HDMI. You need to use an optical cable.

Steve

Thanks.....I made the switch on the DVD player and then had to make a change on my satellite receiver. I have dolby 5.1 now!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom