OWL electric screen

(GTV)Chris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have an OWL 8ft electric screen...not yet installed (still waiting for garage conversion)
It came with a switch and a length of cable....
I am no electrician. Can someone offer any advice on how the heck it's put together?? It came with a really poor little diagram and I'm afraid I may damage it if done incorrectly.

Best

Chris

Chris,

I used the bottom of the two diagrams when I did mine originally.

The cores from the screen are quite self explanatary except the earth which should be connected into some 3amp terminal strip ("chocky block"). When you strip the cables back though, strip them far enough so that when you can cut the blue, you can cut a bit off to give you a bit left over to link the bottom and top of the switch. If you are using a flex with a plug on it then connect the earth to the "chocky block" and the blue and brown to the centre terminals, it doesnt matter which way round because all it effects is the orientation of the switch.

Does this help???

I have now replace this with a contacter which IR control for under £50. Bit better than what Owl wanted.;)

switch wire up or down x1 x2 neutrals

live from mains x3 x4

switch wire up or down x5 x6 earths

Get the idea, cant remember the colours of the cables for up and down, but this should get you started. Dont bother with choccy block or linking. The terminals are only my numbering but at least you can see the shape, it doesnt matter which way round you hold it, as long as you follow the pattern. Yes I am a sparky.

Thank you both for that.

I will try it out.

The IR thing sounded good. Does this make the screen go up and down like the 200 quid remote that owl wanted :)
Where do you get it from?

Cheers

Chris

The IR thing sounded good. Does this make the screen go up and down like the 200 quid remote that owl wanted

I dont know, only in that I haven't seen the Owl remote but yes id does make the screen go up and down. :cool:

To carry out the conversion first off we used a "double pole changeover relay". The way this works is that when voltage is applied it drops the screen down and stops at the autostop position. There it stays untill the voltage is removed and it returns to the up position. It does however mean that you cannot stop the screen part way down. With this relay it means that you can use a normal light switch to control the screen. (How mine is currently). Next I have purchased a single channell IR receiver and remote control,( the one I got was a Velleman kit from CPC which I am waiting for my brother to assemble:( ). This gives me on and off ir remote contol to teach my Pronto.

If you are interested I can post part no's.

Cheers

Yes please, part no.s would be helpful (and some idea as to where you got them from)..sounds like it could be applicable to other electric screens too.

Regards

Ahhgg!! its moved the centre terminals out of position on the page. Did you understand the layout ?.

I was thinking about building a remote using a radio control, I used to install a remote link between garage and house for burglar alarms. I used to supply a remote panic button for the same system. Could use a intelligent relay to control it ( sort of small plc ) this would allow stops on descent and ascent.

Have to give it a bit more thought, but should be easy enough.

Hi folks

Could you post the details of the IR system on this thread?

I'm about to install an electric screen for my HC setup and I've just started to look into the differing methods of screen control.

Plus I've got a pronto so IR is I think the way forward.

PFM

Is that quote from an eastwood film....I'm sure I know it..I should know it....is he in a bath tub? Good the bad....

Yeah Its the scene in the bathtub!

(where the gun is under the water):D

PS. Could I use one of these futronix controllers to control the screen (via IR)?

Keene Electronics have made me a prototype gizmo to allow me to use X10 to switch my owl screen up and down via IR or RF.
Havent had chance to test it yet, but will post results if anybody's interested. I think it will also allow a simple lightswitch control also. Are there many out there who want this sort of thing?

Hi Guys,

For all of you that wanted the part numbers of the bits I got from CPC here thay are.

K6713 1 Channel IR Receiver £19.16 + VAT
K6710 15 Channel Transmitter £33.72 + VAT

I also bought this dimmer switch which also works off of the remote above. The remote can then be learn't into a Pronto etc for complete integration.

K6710 IR remote conrolled dimmer £24.45 + VAT

Please remember that all of the above are kits that require assembly ie soldering the pcb's etc. Hence why I am still waiting for my brother to finish them:rolleyes:

The control relay we used was this

http://www.sea.siemens.com/contrlbu/upld/files/p603.pdf

one. A little over the top this particular application but at least it will never burn out ;) , and it was free :D as he already had it available.

Hope this helps.

Incedently, yes you could in theory use the above relay/contactor in conjunction with an IR conrolled dimmer switch which has "full on-full off" capability, such as the futronix ones mentioned. It would also most likly work with a similar dimmer without the relay but you stand a chance of over-loading and burning out the dimmer switch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom