1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OWL auto screen not working

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by graham.myers, Oct 9, 2001.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 10HT and a 7ft OWL screen at the begining of 2000. I bought the automatic 12v mechanism to plug into the projector but haven;t used it until now.

I took the 4-core cable to the screen and the 3-core power cable both from the manual rocker switch. i wired them into the circuit board for the auto unit. I wired the jack plug into the "trigger" socket on the projector using cheap 2-core speaker cable. The other end wired into the third conncetor on the auto unit.

when I turn on the projector the screen does not descend. I unwired the two power cables and put them back into the manual switch and they do work. Ive examined the 2-core cable and it looks fine.

Any ideas? I emailed OWL support last week and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

i dont think I've been a spoon, but wanted to make sure that there were not any know issues before I took it back to the shop.

2. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Owl 12v triggers do not work with the VW10. I have tried 3 or 4 but no go. The VW10 outputs a funny 12v somehow. The easiest way is to use an expensive trigger about £ 250 or an IR type switch.
    Cheapest way is go to an electrical shop and buy a 3 way switch for down / off / up.

3. Andy F

Andy F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I right in thinking that all you need is a 2pole 12V relay ? I also have an Owl screen, and I've persuaded my Dad to cobble together an automatic switch-box for me... He's a bit of a whizz at that sort of thing, I'm hoping my vague spec is good enough.

Andy

4. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Andy

Correct you can use a 12v relay, we never managed it on the VW10 but OK with other Projectors.
    The only problem is there is no off setting its either powering up or down all the time, similar to using a light swith. Not a big problem as the screen as height stops.

5. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It seems that the VW10HT and probably also the 11HT will only output a very small current(about 20mA) on the 12V trigger jack which is not enough for many relays. This is because Sony put a 4.7kOhm resistor on the 12V jack. Most of the relays(other than Sony's) that I have been able to find technical info on need around an 80mA input along with the voltage. Some relays can take variable voltage, but still need more current. I had read about the resistor on the 10HT, and the 11HT manual confirms that the 12V trigger has a 4.7kOhm output impedance.

I have sent Owl a few emails to try and get specs, but they never answer me. This has steered me away from the Owl relay with my new 11HT.

If you wanted to void your warantee on the 10/11HT, you could always replace the resistor with a smaller one. :)

One other option is the IR control mentioned already. direkt2u.co.uk has them for £125 inc VAT at the moment. They may work on screen other than DaLite which walter sells them with.

I think I'm going to save the cash and headache and just get a manual screen for a quarter of the price of an electric screen + relay that works.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul is correct concerning our interface not working with the VW10, therfore I assume the current rating of the VW11 will be the same?
    However, we are just about to release a revised interface that gets around the Sony VW10/11 problem.

Apologise for not responding to your email, please feel free to contact me at alan@owl-video.co.uk if I can be of further help.

Kind Regards

Alan Roser
    Technical Director
    Owl Video Systems Ltd

7. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan, what's the point in sending you an e-mail if you never anwser them?

I sent you one about Six weeks ago..still waiting........:mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Alan Roser

Alan Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OOPS Sorry!!!

Your response is on its way!

Alan