1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OWL 4:3 8Ft Electric Screen - Drop Stop

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dejongj, Aug 18, 2003.

1. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to set the dropstop for the above electric screen from Owl. I remember from seeing in the manual that you can set the drop stop but can't find the manual anymore and really would like to get rid of the bottom 'extra' bit....

Regards,

Jean-Paul

2. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My OWL 4:3, had a plastic "allen" type key, which you could wind up and down to set the stop and return points. Look for small plus points on the motor side of the casing, you will have to pierce the sticker to do so...

I hope they are still designed in the same way.... :)

Paul.

3. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

Yes, the sticker is there and so are the holes behind it. In which position should i adjust stop point? In other words if I do this when the screen is down, will it move up and then the next time when I use the electric switch it will stop there automatically?

Regards,

Jean-Paul

4. psychonaut

psychonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide:

How long have you had the screen? If you damage the screen motor when trying to adjust the drop yourself it invalidates the warranty so be careful.

5. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had it about a year and 4 months. How long is the warranty on these screens. Mine is starting to make noises when lowering and raising, a bit like Messiah has posted somewhere else as well.

6. psychonaut

psychonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warranty is one year RTB. Does the screen still have a smooth action when going up and down? Where is the noise coming from? If it is coming from the rollers, it is most likely the screen is sticking to itself. Try cleaning the screen with a good quality silicone based cleaner to help lubricate the system. Owl do have a screen cleaner available as a kit - speak to Liam at AV-Sales for pricing - and remember to clean both sides of the screen.
    If the noise is coming from the motor, it is possible that the motor is on it's way out. This is unlikely given the age of the screen, but the only solution is replacement which is not really economically viable. How much do you use your screen? Is it up and down more times than an Iraqi government?

Hope this is of some help.

7. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting to know about the allen key for stop points.

However I use x10 remote control on my owl which uses a built in timer to set the drop point. Cost about 90 quid but I also have control of the power to my subwoofer, pj and lamp included in the price.

Cheers,
    Cal.

8. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    calscot, how does the x10 control it?

im about to start manually adjusting the height too on mine..

9. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, calscot that sounds very interesting...Can you elaborate a bit more on it....

PS. My screen is normally down (and up) once a day...I don't think the noise is coming from the motor...It is more a squicky type of noise...

10. psychonaut

psychonaut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ZeroCool, sounds as though your screen definately needs a clean.

11. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use an x10 shutter switch which is a relay which switches the power to the up and down motors for a set period of time when commanded.

The commands come from an x10 module which sends signals round the mains wires of your house.

You can buy an x10 command module which gets it's signals from an RF remote, or an IR remote, or a timer, or speech recognition, or from a computer, or from a phone receiver etc.

Obviously the cheapest options are RF and IR.

The RF command modules tend to plug into the mains like one of those timer switches and the IR ones are just a box which plugs in like an appliance.

The shutter switch is a bit like a light switch and has to be wired in the wall in a similar way.

It can be found for £40 plus vat and delivery (£53.46)here or it's called a motor drive switch and costs £43.20 from here.

There is a great plug and play starter kit for about £30 from here which gives you an rf remote, a receiver/commander/plug-in modue and a lamp module.

This allows you to switch your lamp on and off as well as an appliance (or appliances using a multiway socket extension - mine switches the power to my pj and subwoofer) and also another two x10 modules eg the shutter switch for the screen.

If you need any more info just ask.

Cheers,
    Cal.

12. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS once you get started with x-10 you'll start thinking about what else you want to remote control with it.

I was thinking of the kettle which you switch on in the kitchen without moving from the couch and then you pause the dvd and make your tea 5 minutes later.

I also plan to get a module for my tv as it gives the pj interference when on standby so I have to completely switch it off each time.

I got the starter pack which is a bargain but now plan on getting an ir receiver so I can use my universal remote. I hate having two remotes controllers now...

Cheers,
    Cal.

13. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a wiring diagram for the shutter switch:

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Cal.

14. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calcot, very interesting stuff...This hobby never ends does it...